Bookmobile
Bookmobile
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2010 12:10PM

Anybody remember the old CPL bookmobile. My neighborhood did not have a library in the 60s, so once a week, a brown library bookmobile would hook up to the electic at the local National Food store. I don't remember the details about whether they were only there after school or all day. Anybody know when they went out of service?

Re: Bookmobile
Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 03, 2010 11:59PM

I remember the Bookmobiles! We had one that would come by our school. The closest branch was in the next neighborhood over (or rather the next parish over- I"M south side!) and we didn't have a library in our Catholic grammar school until about 1968 I think. The public school a few blocks away did have a school library, but of course we couldn't use it since we didn't attend that school. Our Bookmobile would only come after school and on certain days - maybe every 2 or 3 weeks - don't remember how often.

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 11, 2010 12:21PM

I found a link of a picture of a bookmobile that is similar to what I remember, except the Chicago bookmobile I believe was painted in shades of brown and grey.

http://imagesearch.library.illinois.edu//cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/koopman&CISOPTR=298&CISOBOX=1&REC=8

I also found articles in the Chicago Tribune archives, indicating that as late as 1977, there were still bookmobiles visiting schools.

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: November 11, 2010 04:34PM

CPL maintained a bookmobile service until late 2009. They primarily served retirement homes and were available for community events. Due to budget cutbacks the bookmobiles have been (hopefully) temporarily "retired".

It has been a while since they visited schools. I've worked for the library for 20 years and don't ever remember them visiting schools on a regular basis other than a major event such as a school opening or the like.

CPL used to provide regular bookmobile service to schools and neighborhoods back when it wasn't feasible to build a new branch in a certain area. Most neighborhoods have a branch located nearby and like I said the bookmobiles were primarily sent to retirement homes.

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 12:57PM

u

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:53PM

btt

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact