Old Gas Station Brands

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Old Gas Station Brands
Posted by: Brule Laker (---.c3-0.mart-ubr1.chi-mart.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 08, 2011 01:26AM

There was a State gas station (painted white) on Sheridan Road in Evanston just north of Cavalry Cemetary.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2011 11:57PM

We had some sort of distribution point for Sinclair Oil on Cermak, either on Rockwell or Western Ave. I remember the green trucks with the dinosaur logo.

I remember the Oklahoma stations with the large squarish clocks on a Oklahoma billboard type sign . At night the sign was so bright it blacked out everything around it.. Here's an example at Cermak and Clark. Note that the red has faded to orange.
<a HREF="http://davesrailpix.com/cta/htm/cta1346.htm">http://davesrailpix.com/cta/htm/cta1346.htm</a>

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: May 12, 2011 09:05PM

Brule Laker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a State gas station (painted white) on
> Sheridan Road in Evanston just north of Cavalry
> Cemetary.

You mean the "State III" gas station????????. Like the one that existed on Chicago nr Wisconsin in Oak Park, At one time??????????.

AD:

Posted by: Brule Laker (---.c3-0.mart-ubr1.chi-mart.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 12, 2011 09:13PM

Don't know about the Oak Park station, as we never traveled west when I was a kid. State had a simple logo, white with blue letters, I believe.

AD:

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 03:37PM

I lived in Brighton Park in the 60's-70's and remember a Purple Martin at the expressway exit on California. Right across from the Police Station at Pershing and California was a Sinclair.

AD:

Posted by: trainfan1970s (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 01:41AM

I thought that pershing and california was a sunoco?? mabey a sinclair long before my time. Now its a muffler shop and they partially kept the sunoco red arrows and changed the inner logo. :( i remember martin on california and interstate 55 with a building above it that burned to the ground in 1997. It had a huge budweiser advertisement on it that faced eastbound 55 traffic. I saw a picture of washburne trade school the other day prbably from the 80s and i guess there was an amoco at 31st and kedzie on the nw side of the street. I would have sworn that gas station was 76 but mabey not. My father told me of a texaco by budweiser on 48th and california.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 02:59PM

Just a couple of comments about old gas stations and former supermarkets. I remember Pure Oil becoming Union 76 some time ago (I remember their commercial ditty "Go with the spirit, the spirit of 76), but interestingly on our numerous drives between Florida and Chicage I have noticed a Pure Oil stations displaying the old logo. I never had time to stop at one, but maybe if I find one on our way back to Florida I will.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the old High-Low (High quality, low prices) stores owned by the Rooney family. Another was Hillman's mostly located in Goldblatts or Sears.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 02:59AM

Gee I could remenber the Welco Gas Port at Addison nr Laramie, And another just south of the river West of Halsted on N.Hooker street.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 03:03AM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 04:35AM

This Sunoco sign was still at 27th & Lawndale as of a couple years ago. It's now gone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2800+s+central+park&hl=en&ll=41.842535,-87.717172&spn=0.000016,0.016469&sll=41.849107,-87.73117&sspn=0.007592,0.016469&vpsrc=6&hnear=2800+S+Central+Park+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60623&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.842529,-87.717349&panoid=pb34BZgcIZZBVMdOLXaReg&cbp=12,216.7,,0,-6.98

AD:

Posted by: trainfan1970s (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 03:37PM

it can still be viewed on google street view. Southwest corner of 27th and lawndale. Its a shame its gone. I wanna go to that former gas station on ogden a block or so west of austin and try to offer cash to owner of the repair shop that still has that union 76 sign

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 09:40PM

76 brand gasoline is now owned by ConocoPhillips, and is still around on the West coast. A campaign called 'Save The 76 Ball' kept them from killing the brand off.

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: January 05, 2012 01:44PM

Jubilee's Gas for Less on the east side of Ashland between Huron & Erie. Almost kiddie corner from Duk's Hot Dog stand.

AD:

Posted by: WDH74 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 08:30PM

@jak378- the Pure Oil name was originally phased out in the late sixties (by 1970 it was completely gone from stations), when Unocal converted all their locations to Union 76. However, in 1993, the Pure name started to make a comeback in 1993 or so, after Unocal left the southeastern market. The Southeastern Oil Jobbers Cooperative started up to fill this gap, using the Pure name. I'd like to make a road trip down that-a-way, just to photograph a new Pure station.

Pure was, of course, based in Chicago for many years and had a research lab in Crystal Lake. Pure stuff is still around. There's the Pure Oil Silo at the former Meadowdale Raceway in Carpentersville (now called Raceway Woods), as well as several former Pure "cottage" style stations in the area. There's a nice one near me here in Geneva (I remember going there with my folks when it was a 76 station) that's a garden center now, and a couple more in Aurora.

-WDH

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 08:48PM

Thanks Wdh74,

We will be leaving this Friday to head back to florida from Chicago. I am not sure which route we will take yet, but if we come across the Pure sign that I see from time to time, I will post a photo.

AD:

Posted by: coffeemom (---.sip.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 14, 2012 11:37PM

"Oh beautiful for spacious skies,
for amber waves of grain
For Purple Martin gasoline..."

(I can't be the only one who sang it that way.)

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 15, 2012 02:26AM

coffeemom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Oh beautiful for spacious skies,
> for amber waves of grain
> For Purple Martin gasoline..."
>
> (I can't be the only one who sang it that way.)

I certainly would have had I known that version. Kids have always had a way to spice up convention though haven't they coffeemom? Anyone remember this patriotic classic:

"Stand beside her, and guide her
through the night with the light from a bulb"

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2012 07:32PM

Jubilee Gas For Less was on the SE corner of Ashland nr Huron.

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2012 04:18PM

There is a fascinating (and exhaustive) overview of gas station brands at the outstanding forum Pleasant Family Shopping:

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2011/03/golden-age-of-gas-stations.html

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: July 17, 2012 02:24PM

One factor I believe you're overlooking with some of the major chains closing in Chicago is the issue of unions. A & P and National, some of the oldest chains here, had union labor, and I think that is what forced them out of town. Also, an old gas brand here was Deep Rock, which was at the corner of Oak Park and Addison.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 12:56PM

u

AD:

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact