Archer Avenue Big Store

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Archer Avenue Big Store
Posted by: rrbond07 (---.sub-75-219-84.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2010 02:57AM

Anyone remember Archer Avenue Big Store? I remember going there many times through the years while growing up on the southwest side. It was almost like a dime store and could get just about anything there. I would go visit St. Joseph and St. Anne church afterwards (Now Our Lady of Fatima). Watria is just down the street and it was a furniture store before that. Radio Shack is STILL there on Archer and Kedzie after all this time.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Archer Avenue Big Store
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 07:13PM

Watra Religious Store is located where Wolf Furniture used to be, and a bit further west in the same block was the old Brighton Theater. I used to go there as a kid for the 25 cent Saturday matinee. Also, the White Castle at Archer and Kedzie was featured on CBS's show "Undercover Boss" last season. I immediately noticed Fortuna Funeral Home in one of the shots on the show. Grandparents lived in the area and I spent a bit of time around there.
AABS was THE place to go for a suit for your First Holy Communion or graduation, or some other such occasion. I would call it more of a department store than anything.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 09:18PM

Did the store have a bargain basement or basement with sales?.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2010 11:16PM

[b]I think it had a downstairs. I lived in Brighton Park from 1960 to 1997 on Francisco and 46th.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 12:22AM

We ate at that White castle the last time I was in Chicago, for my aunt's wake at Fortuna funeral home. I remember a liquor store and a tavern across the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 10:20AM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 12:46AM

Richard, how is that neighborhood these days? I looked on google maps and the block looks nice. Is it still the same?

AD:

Date: September 29, 2010 01:18AM

[b]It changed a lot as far as nationaliy. It used to be mostly Polish and Litianian but now a lot of mexicans. Many of the older folks still live there. The houses are preety much taken care of. My old cottage on 46th & Francisco has been completly transformed inside and out so there are some improvements also.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:58AM

You mention "cottage that was transformed." Can I assume that the one with the red door was yours? :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4600+s+francisco+chicago&sll=41.840569,-87.725658&sspn=0.014467,0.032938&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4600+S+Francisco+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60632&ll=41.809436,-87.696648&spn=0,0.016469&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.809255,-87.696645&panoid=5umWct-gbEbyEG3zN4SUcA&cbp=12,267.8,,0,9.34

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 29, 2010 01:17PM

Much of the area had changed from 25 years ago, When it was still considered a fairly stable area. It may not be entirely bad, But many of the changes are unpleasing. Such as the absence of the Brighton Theatre, Archer Ave Big Store, Gertie's Candies, Brighton Park Art & Hobby Shop, et al.

AD:

Posted by: cmysli (---.careered.com)
Date: January 21, 2011 08:51PM

Yes, Archer Avenue Big Store had a downstairs and basement. My grandma used to get her shoes fixed in the basement. It had that old wooden floor. It's a uniform store now called Zemskis.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2011 11:43PM

[b]No the cottage I lived in was just south of that picture. It has a garage in front with a brown fence. The garage was turned into a home . So move a little south to 4630 Francisco. The cottage is in the back of the lot.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 12:13AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: cmysli (---.careered.com)
Date: January 26, 2011 08:46PM

Richard,

What grammar school did you attend?

AD:

Date: January 26, 2011 10:30PM

[b]I attended SS Cyril & Methodios at 5oth & Hermitage when I lived on 50th & Wolcott across from Cornell Park.[/b]Went to Tilden Tech in the 50's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 10:32PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 03:46PM

Ah, the A. A. Big Store. Remember the soda machines--'50's models with the huge pointer-dials? Their basement held the toy/model department, I recall. I much preferred visiting there than going with Mom to get the yearly school clothes in the fall. It was our go-to dry goods place. Ah, 'tis gone, 'tis gone . . .

AD:

Posted by: ski50 (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 03:19PM

They had an x-ray machine that was in the shoe department you could put your foot in & watch your toes wiggle which I did many times!Now they are banned.Downstairs was toys & models & Lionel Trains,My 1957 Lionel came from there.They had quite a few Lionel accessories also,

AD:

Posted by: chihx (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 03, 2012 04:45AM

Archer Ave Big Store had a painting contest on their windows (I think for Easter). My sister won the contest and she won a rabbit. We kept it in the basement for a few days and it pooped everywhere. We begged my parents not to get rid of it. They gave it to my uncle and we were pretty sure he cooked it!

AD:

Posted by: xeroid81 (---.clmsdsl01.fbcom.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 06:59PM

Wow,this brings back some memories. I was just thinking about the old legless guy who used to sit on the sidewalk in front with his german shephard collecting donations from people walking by.He had real thick glasses and a floppy hat.I googled AA bigstore and found this forum. I am a retired chicagoan living in Iowa on a small hobby farm. I moved to DuPAGE COUNTY IN 84 but my mom still lives there. She refuses to leave regardless of the changed neighborhood. Talk about stubborn ha! I noticed to reference to the Huck Finns donut shop. Is that gone now? Yea,who can forget those .25 Sunday movies with 2 flicks.I really miss those days and the way the hood used to be. Lotsa great people and things to do.

AD:

Posted by: zemte28 (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 06:58PM

Xeroid81,

I remember that legless man outside of AABS as also blind. He had one of chose cups with pencils in it. I remember the dog as well. I have moved away from Illinois altogether and my mom also lives in the same old neighborhood. She refuses to leave the area, just as your mom does.

I've got a question I'm hoping either you or anyone else in the forum may have teh answer to. I'm trying to find out if anyone remember a record store across from the Neisner's dime store on Archer Avenue. I went there all the time as a kid and it was basically my "home away from home," so to speak. Problem is, I never even thought to pay attention to what the name of the place was. I'd love to know what the name of it was. I bought all my 45s and albums there as well as teen magazines and comic books. If anyone knows the name of this place, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks! :-)

AD:

Posted by: silliker (---.69.101.136.pldt.net)
Date: August 27, 2012 05:16AM

In managing the best view to make an adjustments to keep things more updated of the things needed in achieving a good views.

[url=http://www.div-ent.com/]Warehouses in Chicago at Diversified Entities, LLC[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2012 07:39PM

Zempte28, would that have been Archer Music Box?

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact