Baskin Robbins Shop on Belmont east of Harlem

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Baskin Robbins Shop on Belmont east of Harlem
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2010 01:06AM

Did anyone frequent this Baskins? I used to ride my bike down the side streets adjacent to Belmont from the Avondale area on summer nights to get a cone at this shop. It was bare-bones; just a few plastic chairs. And the owners always seemed peeved at the customers. But the ice cream was better than that served today in those mini-Baskins.

I can't remember there being any other Baskins in the area at that time.

The thing that stands out is the giant black and white photos wallpapering the area behind the counter. These were photos of big spotted dairy cows. That was the only bit of decor in the shop.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Baskin Robbins Shop on Belmont east of Harlem
Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-244-51.myvzw.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 03:07PM

The Baskin and Robbins Shop that I used to go to was on the corner of Belmont and Rutherford. We called it "31 Flavors" when I was a kid. Is this the same shop you remember? I still walk past this corner several times a week and it is now a Polish cosmetics shop. The ice cream WAS better back in those days. I don't remember when the shop closed but I would have gone there in the late 1960's through the 70's. There was also a branch of Harczak's Sausage a few doors down from there. They used to give out free pretzel sticks to kids when their parents shopped there.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:43PM

Yes, shekaago, that's the one; on Rutherford. Couldn't remember that name. The ice cream was delicious and I think there was a greater selection of flavors too back then.

It's too bad it is no longer there--seems like all the ice cream places are in malls now.

This store was standing room only on summer nights. You had to take a number and some people waited outside.

AD:

Posted by: backwardk4501 (208.102.88.---)
Date: July 10, 2010 11:48PM

Was there ever a 31 flavors at the SW corner of Irving Park and Central? Or close to the corner?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 06:02AM by backwardk4501.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 12:03AM

Around late 70s, the SW corner of Irving and Central changed from a small drug store to an ice cream shop. Many old independent corner drug stores died off in the 70's.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-244-138.myvzw.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 01:24PM

It was such a special treat to walk or bike down to that little B/R shop on warm summer evenings. I also remember the old Good Humor trucks riding up and down the neighborhood streets, ringing the bells that beckoned us kids to stop whatever we were doing and buy an ice cream bar. Those bars also tasted a lot better back then! I also remember the corner shop on Irving and Central which is now a Mexican restaurant. I worked at a florist for many, many years (it is now gone) just back from the NW corner of that intersection.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 12:09AM

Just saw a Good Humor truck @ Wacker & Michigan yesterday. The driver had on the white uniform. I didn't have time to stop & buy any. The truck looked to be in good condition.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-242-99.myvzw.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 03:45PM

I had no idea those Good Humor trucks still existed! Your post prompted me to do a little searching and I found that Wikipedia has a nice history of the company.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Humor]Hood Humor[/url]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact