North Lawndale

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: North Lawndale
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 12:18AM

More North Lawndale.

Here are a couple of coach houses from the five houses on Avers.

This is the coach house of the old Kralovec house at 2102 S. Avers.

1952 S Avers coach house.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Date: May 07, 2010 12:39AM

More Millard Ave.

How cool is this? Look at the original circa 1908 shot I posted of Millard Ave where you can see the street from the el tracks. Look in front of many of the homes and you will see these "steps" that were used to help get off of your horse. Many homes back then would use a wood box or crate, but the wealthy had stone steps with their family name on them. Some actually survive on Millard Ave. I always say that "frugality" or even in some cases, poverty, can be a preservationists best friend. In extremely depressed areas like North Lawndale many original architectural features survive simply because homeowners did not update their properties, or because of neglect or lack of city services. It is amazing that these stone slabs still survive considering that they are on the city owned parkway. It is surprising that in some past decade they they were not removed after utility work, concrete replacement, or street repairs. As you can see, they are haphazardly placed in the front lawns with no regard to their historic value.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: May 07, 2010 10:41AM

Another interesting find and story Frank.

Thanks.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2010 11:18PM

Cool find on the "steps" Like you said it's surprising that they are still around especially that there on the city's right of way. Very nice pictures of the coach houses.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 08:37PM

While at the dentist today, I was thumbing through the June 2010 edition of Chicago magazine. On page 26 there were pictures of 6 or 7 very nice houses in the North Lawndale community, each with a little story attached to it.

I started reading and was called to the "chair". Never got a chance to finish my reading, but I will at our local library on my next visit, if I remember. Let's see now where did I put my.... ;-)

AD:

Date: June 16, 2010 11:16PM

More North Lawndale.....

Watch Out!

Very cool prairie style 2 flat at 1817 S. Millard Ave.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 12:50AM

Thanks (again) Frank. Wonder what the insides look like? Quite a building.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 09:07PM

Berwyn Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sign below hung on a fence near the old
> Hotpoint plant. It is big, about 3 1/2'-4' tall
> and VERY heavy. [b]Some how some way, I am not
> saying how[/b], it now resides in my basement!
>
>

I HATE when that happens! The NERVE of old signs, forcing somebody to take them home like that....:D

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 09:26PM

Two of the most notorious "contract sellers"/blockbusters on Chicago's west side in the 1950s and 60s were Kenneth Goldberg and Louis Wolff. They were part of a group of West Siders who did this for years before being exposed. The Chicago Tribune ran a devastating (and detailed) expose of their activities in about April of 1973.

Ironically, once the block busters came to a neighborhood, the ripple effects were tremendous. As time went on, many people witnessed the collapse of neighborhoods close to them, and it didn't take long for people to start bailing out of adjacent areas, even if they were never approached by a contract seller or never even saw an "undesirable" family come to their block. A friend of mine said, of his old neighborhood on the far west fringe of Garfield Park, "We didn't need block busters...we saw what was coming!" His neighborhood collapsed inside of one summer in the mid-sixties.

Another common practice of the South Side ghetto, which I'm told also existed on the West Side, was that of renovating regular apartments into one-room "kitchenettes" and renting them by the week. The overcrowding and strain on building facilities (and exponentially accelerated depreciation) was tremendous; one example I saw cited was of an eight-flat that, after renovation into kitchenettes, housed *fifty-four* families.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2010 11:23AM

SuperCFL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Two of the most notorious "contract
> sellers"/blockbusters on Chicago's west side in
> the 1950s and 60s were Kenneth Goldberg and Louis
> Wolff. They were part of a group of West Siders
> who did this for years before being exposed. The
> Chicago Tribune ran a devastating (and detailed)
> expose of their activities in about April of
> 1973.
>
> Ironically, once the block busters came to a
> neighborhood, the ripple effects were tremendous.
> As time went on, many people witnessed the
> collapse of neighborhoods close to them, and it
> didn't take long for people to start bailing out
> of adjacent areas, even if they were never
> approached by a contract seller or never even saw
> an "undesirable" family come to their block. A
> friend of mine said, of his old neighborhood on
> the far west fringe of Garfield Park, "We didn't
> need block busters...we saw what was coming!" His
> neighborhood collapsed inside of one summer in the
> mid-sixties.
>
> Another common practice of the South Side ghetto,
> which I'm told also existed on the West Side, was
> that of renovating regular apartments into
> one-room "kitchenettes" and renting them by the
> week. The overcrowding and strain on building
> facilities (and exponentially accelerated
> depreciation) was tremendous; one example I saw
> cited was of an eight-flat that, after renovation
> into kitchenettes, housed *fifty-four* families.

It is so sad that this took place, North Lawndale was such a nice place at one time.

AD:

Date: July 12, 2010 05:04PM

A (very close to) North Lawndale story.

After the Forgotten Chicago Pilsen / Little Village tour yesterday which ended at the California Pink Line station, my sister wanted to take a walk to see the Marshall Square / Boulevard area just west of the station. We grew up not too far from that area in the 50s. She and I walked from the station to Marshall Blvd then a bit south to Cermak. From there we walked west to Kedzie then hopped on the L. The Marshall Square theater building was still impressive as was St Casmir's along with a few other familiar buildings and ex-store fronts. We think we remembered where the hobby shop was that had the "hand" sticker on its window. When your own hand covered the window's hand, the train inside would "magically" move around its track.

While we both were very much aware that the area wasn't what it was many years ago, we noticed that everyone we passed on Cermak either said "hi" or nodded their heads in a friendly fashion. Now mind you, this was on Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, the walking tour was excellent and I look forward to future wanderings (and learning) through the streets of Chicago.

AD:

Date: July 12, 2010 05:32PM

I didn't even know there was a walking tour for Forgotten Chicago in Pilsen & Little Village yesterday. How many people showed up?

AD:

Date: July 12, 2010 06:22PM

I'd say about 25 people were on the walk. We lucked out with the weather. Clouds kept the sun at bay so the temps were more tolerable. Rains came well after the walk was over.

From what I heard yesterday, there will be 2 more walks plus the boat tour (sold out) this year.

Jefferson Park and Uptown are on the list. Keep an eye on the FC web page for details. That's where I learned about the walking tour yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 12:33PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: FranCarmen (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 02:16AM

Here's an interesting [url=http://www.stobfamily.com/henry_stob/summoning_up_remembrance/summoning_up_remembrance_chapter2.html]followup[/url] to the Stege Brewery story we learned about on the Pilsen Little Village Tour. If you scroll about a quarter of the way down, to the paragraph beginnning "The Stege house was so called because it was .....owned by Mr. and Mrs. Stege..." The author of this online memoir lived in a flat in the Stege family home, which was located a block from the brewery itself at 15th and Ashland. Interesting, he talks of how the neighborhood was nearly all Dutch in his day, 1916 to 1922.

http://francesarcher.com

AD:

Date: July 13, 2010 12:35PM

Wonderful find FranCarmen. Thank you.

AD:

Date: July 13, 2010 02:47PM

That is a great story FranCarmen.

Why was the Stege Brewery a subject on a Pilsen/Little Village tour? Did you visit the tied houses in Little Village? 15th & Ashland itself is NOT in Pilsen. The north Border of Pilsen is 16th St. which is separated from 15th by the railroad. Here is a couple of neighborhood maps.

"Official" City of Chicago neighborhood map.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_ATTACH/Community_Areas_LOWER_WEST_SIDE.pdf

Dreamtown U.S.A. Real Estate Map

http://www.dreamtown.com/neighborhoods/pilsen.html

The 1915 Chicago Bohemian Adresar, or directory, states the boundaries of Czech Pilsen are Morgan to Western Ave. surrounding 18th St. (Those borders have since changed.)

As an interesting side note related to the memoir posted by FranCarmen, my parents bought their house on 13th St. in Berwyn in 1976 (which they still live in) from a Dutch family named Dykstra. The Dykstra's bought the house in Berwyn around 1940 and moved from that very same small Dutch colony in Chicago mentioned in the memoir. They lived at 1423 W. 14th Place less than two blocks from 15th & Ashland. They moved straight west from 1400 W. in Chicago to 6800 W. in Berwyn just one more block north. The Dutch were VERY clannish. There was a very small Dutch settlement in Berwyn surrounding 13th St. in the north east corner of the neighborhood.

AD:

Date: July 13, 2010 04:36PM

The Stege Brewery wasn't a tour stop Sunday but their tied houses were. The brewery was mentioned in the article FranCarmen discovered. I don't recall. or simply didn't hear, if anyone on the tour mentioned that the brewery was once located on 15th and Ashland.

We stopped at 4 tied houses on Sunday, 3 Stege and one Schlitz. We did not venture to Ashland. I think Leavitt was as far east as we got.

Well done FC article on tied houses can be found here:

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/chicago-architecture/tied-houses/

We stopped at the 3 Stege houses mentioned in the above article.

It was also mentioned that the western border of Pilsen is said to be Western Ave by some and the railroad tracks, about a block or so west of Western by others.

Interesting side story about the Dutch btw.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 12:45PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: July 16, 2010 01:09AM

I took a ride through North Lawndale this afternoon on my way back from downtown. Very very sad. It literally gets worse every time I drive through there. I am particularly sad because as I mentioned in the very first post of this thread that I am really fascinated with the corner stores that were on pretty much every corner in the neighborhood, particularly in the "Merigold" part of the neighborhood I cover in the first post. I was planning (like six months ago, yeah I know it's my fault.) to photographically document two special ones on the NW (1358) and SE (1401) corners of 14th & Komensky.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1400+s+karlov&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.215425,134.912109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1400+S+Karlov+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60623&ll=41.866061,-87.727847&spn=0,0.016469&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.862527,-87.726263&panoid=ikH34KmWVelo5xCuITgDEA&cbp=12,307.94,,0,-9.78

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1400+s+karlov&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.215425,134.912109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1400+S+Karlov+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60623&ll=41.866061,-87.727847&spn=0,0.016469&z=17&layer=c&cbll=41.862527,-87.726263&panoid=ikH34KmWVelo5xCuITgDEA&cbp=12,146.41,,0,-6.37

They were both really great examples of late 19th century Chicago neighborhood stores and the one at 1358 S. Komensky even had a barn in the rear that was haphazardly converted into a garage eons ago. Check it out by maneuvering through google maps. When I drove by this afternoon they were both razed. One had been razed for at least a few months and the other was in the final stages of being razed as it was a huge hole in the ground surrounded by fencing. These examples were both abandoned and in very bad shape so no one was willing to bring them back to life in such a depressed and extremely impoverished neighborhood.

Like I mentioned before, there is only about half remaining of what was originally in this neighborhood and after the results of this recession there is going to be half left of the half. SO MANY properties in North Lawndale are boarded up and in some stage of the final days of their useful lives. For people like us, it is a sad thing to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 01:05PM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Date: July 16, 2010 03:50AM

Here is the barn from 1358 S. Komensky.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1400+s+karlov&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=63.215425,134.912109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=1400+S+Karlov+Ave,+Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois+60623&layer=c&cbll=41.862521,-87.727043&panoid=l_NXeufuD5lF3cQ9JobMlg&cbp=12,52.3,,0,6.31&ll=41.862522,-87.726924&spn=0,0.016469&z=17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2011 04:27AM by Berwyn Frank.

AD:

Date: July 16, 2010 11:35AM

Somehow while reading BerwynFrank's posts, an old depression era? song came to mind.

This is the stanza that entered the space between my ears.

"the rich get rich and the poor get poorer. In the meantime, in between time, ain't we got fun."

And yes, it's sad to see that area heading in the wrong direction. Lots of interesting history giving way to the wrecking ball.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2010 01:53PM by daveg.

AD:

Current Page: 3 of 11

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact