Gertie's Ice Cream shop

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gertie's Ice Cream shop
Posted by: rstang (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 01:57PM

Does anyone remember Gertie's ice cream on the south side. I went there as a kid in the early 70's. I remember all the stuffed animals and the great old location. Where was it located and what happened to it. I also remember a SNL skit or short movie that was filmed there. I remember John Belushi running around in the store breaking the light bulbs after the patorns asked for ice cream. Thanks for any info

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Gertie's Ice Cream shop
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 05:25PM

from wiki.answers.com there was a Gertie's in Brighton park
Cinema treasures/Brighton Theater. Gertie's was near there.Brighton Theater was on 4223 S.Archer Ave

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 09, 2010 08:30PM

the original Gertie's was at 59th and Kedzie.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 09:27PM

Gertie's is still around, or at least the name is. Lindy's Chili, another South side institution and Gertie's have joined forces and operate as Lindy's/Gertie's. There is one in Bridgeview at 87th & Harlem and there used to be one in Tinley Park also, could even be more out there. The original location of Lindy's is at Archer and Western, right near McKinley Park.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2010 11:16PM

The original Gertie's was on the NW corner of 59th and Kedzie in the same block as the Colony Theater. They had the best hot fudge and taffy apples.

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:14PM

Gerties was at 59/Kedzie. They filmed there for the TV show, "Crime story" with Dennis Ferina (sic). I had a Bit Part there inside Gerties working behind the soda fountain when someone shoots at me and hits all of the sunday dishes. The ice cream was great but you could smell the sewer gas back-up.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:48PM

Ah, so THAT'S where it was filmed! I saw that episode (Paul Guilfoyle is the guy who shot at you) and thought that it was filmed at Margie's but something about it didn't look quite right...

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 11:10PM

[b]What about Gerties next to Peoples Theater on 47th & Marshfield.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 09:31AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (---.performancemetal.com)
Date: April 16, 2010 03:17PM

There was no Gerties next to People's Theater. People's was on the north side of west 47th Street between Marshfield and Ashland (not Paulina). There was a small snack shop to the west of the theater on the corner of 47th and Marshfield, but it wasn't called Gerties. Jusas Sisters Restaurant was to the east of the theater and Goldblatt's was across the street. On the corner of 47th and Ashland was Cupid Candies. Growing up in the 1950s, I spent a LOT of time in that area.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 08:13PM

Gertie's was on 59th and Kedzie. Good location right by the Colony.

Not sure if this was urban legend or not by one of their creations -- the Tummy Buster -- was free if you (and only you) could finish it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 02:24PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 08:36PM

there was a Universal Ice Cream parlor at 51st and Ashland, on the SW corner going way back...maybe that's the one Rich S is thinking of.

AD:

Posted by: WhiteTrashPeg (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 05:41AM

Theyre still around, just merged with a greasy spoon place named Lindy's. Really good food and ice cream.
http://www.lindyschili.com/

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 10:37PM

[b]Universal's icecream parlor was our hang out after friday nigh novina when I was in grade school at S.S. Cyril's on 50th & Hermitage. It's been gone for some time now.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 05:55PM

Here's a photo of the 'Crime Story' episode mentioned in the above posts:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/4627652872/]Gertie's on TV[/url]

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 03:05AM

Thanks way Out. I was behind the bar when he shoots at me. Another actor was reading the paper when He came in. I had about 45 seconds of face time on this scene. It was interesting. I am NOT an actor.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2010 01:56PM

What's funny is that the episode is supposed to take place in Uptown. Ah, Hollywood.

Does anyone know when that particular Gertie's closed?

AD:

Posted by: glassgypsy (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 03:38AM

There was also a Gertie's on 55th Street, between Fairfield and California, next door to the old Acadia movie theater. In Morris IL, there is a Lindy/Gerties, with old pictures from the 20's, and the owner told me the clock is from their 55th street location.

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (---.internet.mymmode.com)
Date: July 20, 2010 10:24AM

Ha, go to the Colony for 50 cents or bump it up to the Marquette for $1.00 and see a movie; then take your date for some ice cream at the original Gerties. I just can't bring myself to try the franchises. If I want Lindy's Chili I will go to the original on Archer, though it's been years since I've done that.

AD:

Posted by: nscrwf (---.atw.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 05:31PM

[size=large]Again so many memories... Gerties was next to the theater on Archer Ave. best ice cream around. You could get a sandwich there with chips, they never had french fries.. I can still see the booths..[/size]

AD:

live monkees in race cars at riverview
Posted by: glassgypsy (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: May 08, 2014 01:25AM

Does anyone remember live monkeys in small race cars at Riverview. Details are really hazy LOL

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact