Hamburger joints/grill

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 07:30PM

ambrosemario Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was Brent's Grill on the northeast corner of 69th?
> I seem to recall there was also a grill on the
> southeast corner. If so, I remember sitting in the
> diner on the NE corner with my Mother probably
> around 1957 or 58. On the wall of the booth was a
> doorbell, which you rang when you needed your
> server. My sister and I kept trying to ring the
> bell and my Mother had her hands full trying to
> keep us away from it. I also remember walking with
> her to Armand's (sp?) department store just east
> of Ashland on 69th.

BRENTS GRILL WAS ON THE SOUTH EAST CORNER
ON THE NORTH EAST CORNER DELCO"S A CIGAR STORE WITH FOUNTAIN SERVICE PLUS BOOTHS IN THE REAR SECTION WHERE YOU COULD SIT.. THIS IS THE PLACE YOU WOULD PRESS ON THE BELL FOR SERVICE.GREAT ICE CREAM CREATIONS

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 07:54PM

Do any other southsiders remember Herb's Grill at 83rd and Ashland. I remember it being brand new, I believe in the late 50's. It was always extremely clean.

The best grill chain of them all though was Gossage Grills. During a summer job in 1959 I ate, almost daily, at the one at 79th and Cicero.

These places were all pretty much alike with a grillman, never a woman, maybe a waitress or counterman. Several of the grillmen that I talked to had been cooks in the Army. They served thin , delicious hamburgers with or without grilled or raw onions. The buns were always from Mary Anne. They didn't have much elslel of a menu. I ordered a hamburger steak in one one time, and the grillman took 2 or 3 hamburgers and put them together for the steak. Just as good , but no bun. Their Breakfasts were always good too: Eggs and bacon, sausage, ham off the bone or a small steak, and potatoes. Their pancakes were always good too. I don't live in Chicago anymore, but visit ofter and don't see many, if any, of these places any more. Most were all night operations.

Gee, I can smell the onions now.

AD:

Posted by: moderntimes (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 08:06PM

jak378 sums it up perfectly. And the coffee, usually bad but always good. Maybe a stale doughnut to-go. Don't get me started on biscuits and gravy.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 08:48PM

I remember Herb's Grill well. I had a lot of meals there in the late 60's and early 70's. Herb's remained open for many years after that area changed. And Gossage Grill also had a location just north of the Highland theater at 79th and Ashland

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 10:34PM

[b]Does anybody here remember the hamburger trailer at 51st and Wolcott in the 50's across from Cornell Park? That beloged to our family and I used to run it at night. Hot dogs and burgers was my game.[/b]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2012 12:55AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 11:40PM

Tommy,

thank for clearing that up. I will see my 80 year old aunt for Christmas and will tell her about Lynn Burton taking over Louie Georges in the early 70's. I had always thought that Louie Georges closed went that neighborhood went south. My grandmother was one of the last to move off the 6800 block of Wood in 1976.

AD:

Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:55AM

The Minor and Dunn at 1732 east 79th strret was their first. I still remember some of the songs on the Juke Box. Helen Oconnel singing, :Green Eyes," And I forget the other singer doing " Amapola." My aunt lived right down the street on East End. Also nearby, The Avalon Theatre. After going to the Starlite Drive In on 95th Street in Oaklawn,we went to the hamburger stand at 76th and Nincennes which we called the garbage hut because they put everything on it. They were so busy at times that it was operated like an assembly line with 4 or 5 guys throwing things on. A GREAT PLACE!!! Tom C

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 03:30AM

Mid to late '60's and into the early '70's the guys I ran with were regulars at Jim Ladd's Snappy Service System No.9. Jim only had one 24 hr. snack shop but No.9 looked better up on the sign. It was on the SW side, Archer Ave. at Nottingham and had the typical greasy spoon menu. If I heard "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" by Nancy Sinatra once I heard it a thousand times in there; the girls working the place couldn't get enough of that one! Plenty of good food, laughs, and the usual cast of characters from all walks of life.

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 03:23AM

The old Henry's on Western still stands as an office for a car lot. I stop for a beer next door and gaze upon it while smoking in the rear. It was still open in the mid seventies if I remember correctly. Couldn't miss the neon coming over the bridge. Even still has the original sign frame now advertising the car lot. Could be wrong but I think there was one on Belmont just west of Central on the west side of the street.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2013 08:44PM

[b]I ran a hamberger/hot dog stand in the 50's at 51st and wolcott. It was a trailer on the north west corner. ASnybody remember it?[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Julie (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 02:05AM

Richard, I remember that stand in the early / mid 70's did your family still own it then?

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 03:43AM

I don't know if they still exist but I remember a Don's grill. Their sign said they had "humburgers". One was on Cicero just south of Belmont on the east side of the street. There was another one on Western just south of 18th, again on the east side of the street.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 02:52PM

The two big hamburger places we used to go to were Mrs. Murphy's, on the 4400 block of North Harlem, where Rex Imported Italian Foods is currently located, and the Henry's Hamburgers, which was on the 3400 Block of North Harlem. After Henry's closed, a guy opened it up as a slotcar track, and we used to go there to race our model cars. After that fad became less popular, the old guy kind of loaded it up with all kinds of used stuff. You'd go in there looking for stuff and he got quite posessive and wouldn't sell you anything. I believe he eventually passed away and the building was torn down, condos are now on the site.

AD:

Date: January 04, 2013 06:07PM

There was a grill at Ogden and California, Al's Grill, that was frequented by the nurses and student nurses at Mt. Sinai Hosp, which was across Ogden Ave. I first saw my wife in the lobby of Mt. Sinai, and introduced myself to her. She was going across for coffee. I asked to join her and the rest is history.

AD:

Date: January 04, 2013 06:43PM

[b]We didn't own it in the 70's but we did in the 50's. I was a teenager at that time and sold a lot of dogs, chilie & burgers. It was on a gas station lot names Parkview filling station and car wash acroos from Cornell park.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 01:02PM

Anyone remember a joint on SW HWY. And Crawford called GOLLY BURGERS ?
GOOG GREASY FRIES.

AD:

Posted by: bob1060 (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 09:32AM

My grandparents used to take me to Little Eddie's, a great little corner joint around 59th & Pulaski. It was always a highlight for me...chiliburger, fries, and a chocolate shake. The location is still there, last I saw, but is now a taco place (which I've heard has great food, as well).

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 27, 2013 12:38PM

bob1060 Wrote:
> My grandparents used to take me to Little Eddie's,
> a great little corner joint around 59th & Pulaski.
> It was always a highlight for me...chiliburger,
> fries, and a chocolate shake. The location is
> still there, last I saw, but is now a taco place
> (which I've heard has great food, as well).

I recall Little Eddie's fries were of the shoestring variety and they along with the other stuff on their menu was very good.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2013 05:07PM

Little Eddies had the greatest sandwich...The SUPER DOG ! A Mary Ann Poppyseed bun,a TOM TOM TAMALE split lengthwise, an all Beef Vienna Hot Dog in the tamale, Squeese Cheese, Chili, and topped with onions and Tomato. BURRRP..GOOOD !

AD:

Date: February 28, 2013 06:40PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> I ran a hamberger/hot dog stand in the 50's at
> 51st and wolcott. It was a trailer on the north
> west corner. ASnybody remember it?

In the 50's or so, did a guy namded Leo own that place, or have anything to do with it? I think his last name was Kohl.

AD:

Current Page: 3 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact