Hamburger joints/grill

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 03:46AM

There were at least 2 more Henry's, one at Fullerton & Central, (now a Mickey D's) and on the 3400 block of N Harlem. The one on Harlem was the original building full of junk a year or two ago, it may have been razed. I don't know why they closed, I wish I did.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: July 27, 2010 05:03PM

There's what looks like a former Henry's on Western just south of Roscoe. The sign looks similar, at least. There was also one in Des Plaines on Rand Road.

There's one still around, in Michigan: http://www.henryshamburgers.com/

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2010 09:01PM

Thanks WayOut for the Henry's website. Suprised to find they are still in business. That familiar green and red sign brought back memories of summer nights when my cousin and I were sent to walk the couple blocks to Henry's to bring back a bag of burgers, fries, etc.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:31PM

Dutch's Drive-In was on NE corner of Division and Laramie. Loved to go there in 60's to get Frozen Custard, or as I thought at age 5-8, was just "ice cream". Also loved the burgers.

When an early Burger King opened at 5000 W North Ave, it was the place to go in 1969!

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 12:45AM

NW corner, Foster & Western

AD:

Posted by: larryjd (---.dsl.tul2ok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 04:00AM

I do remember going to Henry's all the time when i was a kid. I think there may still be one in Milwaukee if what I saw on the internet web site was accurate.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 07, 2011 01:20PM

The Burger King at 4900 W.North opened in 1967 or 68.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2011 03:59AM

'68 I think, since I was in 2nd grade then. Glad it's still there, my school is long gone, just the church stands, St. Peter Canisius.

There were a lot of franchised burger places in the 60's and most went under competing with the big ones.

AD:

Posted by: gone2222 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 12, 2011 11:50AM

There is a Burger King in Naperville that looks a lot like the original constructions.

I used to work at Evergreen Plaza,and for lunch sometimes would go to Whimpys. More than once I ran across Arthur Rubleoff (the Plaza owner and Big Money Devleoper) happily munching on a burger there, looking like a character out of Dickens with his bowler hat and thick eyeglasses.

AD:

Posted by: chevyliddle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 06:58AM

I remember my dad used to take us to Midway to watch the planes come in back in the late 1950s and we would get dinner from the old Vienna Red Hot stand. I remember the dogs came in a piece of wax paper with the greasy fries wrapped up with it. Those were the days when O'Hare was still military and Midway was the busiest airport in the world.

AD:

Posted by: BullHubbard (---.dhcp.losa.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 05:54PM

OK you Brighton Park people--anyone remember "Gus's" on California between W. 39th Place and W. 40th St.? Fantastic burgers and, of course, the great greasy fries in the brown paper bags. Gus's wife (I believe her name was Mae or May) worked there as well.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 06:51PM

[b]I'm fropm 46th & Francisco and can't place it on California.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 06:51PM

[b]I'm from 46th & Francisco and can't place it on California.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.86.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 11:18PM

Henry's hamburgers, it's been a long time since I've thought about that franchise. When I was a kid, we lived near Riverview Park in what is now the Roscoe Village neighborhood. It was probably mid to late '50s that a Henry's opened on the east side of Western Avenue, just south of Roscoe, almost across the street from the main entrance to Riverview. The business was probably hurt a bit when the overpass over the Belmont-Clybourn-Western intersection was built and I think they were gone before Riverview was closed. I tend to believe that the competition from McDonalds probably did them in but they had decent hamburgers and, once a year on the anniversary of their opening, you could buy a hamburger, fries, and a chocolate shake for 25 cents. BTW, the building is still there or, it was last year when I visited the city. It's an office on a used car lot as I recall.

I also recall Beefy's on Western, just south of Rosehill cemetary. The building is a florist now, IIRC.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 12:48PM

BRENTS GRILL
69TH ASHLAND----- HAMBURGERS .25 A HAMBUGER' OR FIVE FOR A DOLLAR
BUT WHO HAD A DOLLAR. YEAR 1955.
WHEN YOU LEFT YOU SMELLED LIKE GRILLED ONIONS,I THINK I STILL DO

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 03:14PM

When I was a kid in the late 50's early 60's, there seemed to be as many Henry's as McDonalds in Chicago, although I don't know if Henry's was ever a national chain. They had similar menus and architecture; with Henrys have green extensions from their roof similar to McD's golden arches. There still is at least one Henrys in the Midwest, just outside of Benton Harbor, Michigan. It was an original styled building up until around 10 years ago, but has since been replaced with a modern building.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 05:22PM

Was Brent's Grill on the northeast corner of 69th? I seem to recall there was also a grill on the southeast corner. If so, I remember sitting in the diner on the NE corner with my Mother probably around 1957 or 58. On the wall of the booth was a doorbell, which you rang when you needed your server. My sister and I kept trying to ring the bell and my Mother had her hands full trying to keep us away from it. I also remember walking with her to Armand's (sp?) department store just east of Ashland on 69th.

AD:

Posted by: moderntimes (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 05:46PM

(I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to mention the suburbs.) In the early 80's I lived in Elmhurst. There's a little corner joint "Hamburger Heaven" that's been there since the 1940's. A nice spring/summer evening would turn into a community event of friends and neighbors. I hope they're still there.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 05:50PM

Richardson's hamburger heaven. Great root beer.

They were still open this summer. But I here rumors about it closing every year.

AD:

Posted by: moderntimes (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 06:18PM

I had forgotten but yes, great root beer. Glad to hear they're still open. I'm sure their property is envied by developers. Sitting in their "yard", enjoying a good meal is one of my best food memories. Thanks PK

AD:

Current Page: 2 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact