Hamburger joints/grill

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Hamburger joints/grill
Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 02:08PM

It wasn't a Red Barn, it was a restaurant called Burger Farm and it was there in the early 70s, i used to go there with my grandparents. it was one of the first restaurants I remember that had an electric hand dryer in the bathroom. You can see the "silo" in the back, remodeled to be a circus tent, just like the main sign.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 07:58PM

[b]Anybody remember a hot dog stand in the Back of the yards at the n/w corner of 51st & wolcott. I ran it in the 50's[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:35PM

One place I'll NEVER forget was a diner at the SE corner of Dearborn and Harrison called Tom's Diner. It was the greasy spoon to end all greasy spoons. When I was in elementary school in the 50s my dad would let me accompany him on service calls in the Loop, when school was out. He took me in there for a burger ONCE and that was all I could handle. He said that most people referred to it as "Ptomaine Tom's". ;-)

At the other end of the spectrum, at the NE corner of Van Buren and Plymouth Ct. was "The Dill Pickle". Corned beef sandwiches to die for. A couple of doors to the west was this little hotel where Carrie Fisher attempts to blow up the Blues Brothers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwilson1949/3520841620/in/set-72157623446833521

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 03:09PM

That's the Henry's I used to go to as a kid, good food. I also remember the various Cock Robins throughout the city. I would go to the one on Milwaukee avenue just past Devon and Nagle, best malts around. I took my kids to Cock Robin when they were little too, was able to find a couple still around but I think they are all gone now. I remember it being called Prince Castle before Cock Robin and you could see the castle still on the malt cups.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 02:13AM

Mikey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One place I'll NEVER forget was a diner at the SE
> corner of Dearborn and Harrison called Tom's
> Diner. It was the greasy spoon to end all greasy
> spoons. When I was in elementary school in the 50s
> my dad would let me accompany him on service calls
> in the Loop, when school was out. He took me in
> there for a burger ONCE and that was all I could
> handle. He said that most people referred to it as
> "Ptomaine Tom's". ;-)

I remember Tom's Diner, but only as a 'ruin' - the building was gutted but the facade kept intact with the sign, to kind-of dress up the parking lot that's there now. It's still there, only without the sign.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 04:42PM

Hey, Way Out!

You caught me with my memory down. ;-) I remember that place being at Dearborn and Harrison, but was I off a mile! Well, maybe not that far, but even that itty bitty error of 200 feet is embarassing, as I probably walked past the place 100 times, and
even ate there (once!). But that "memorial" is cool!

The buildings along the 1/4 mile long 600-800 block of Dearborn were impressive. I remember the old Transportation Building at 608 S. Dearborn, with all the railroad offices in it. Further down were loads of used office furniture places, printing shops, book stores, and of course, the Dearborn Station with its beautiful tower looking north up Dearborn street. <sigh>

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 03:54PM

I remember the Don's Grill on Western Ave. Grew up in Pilsen and ate there a few times when i drifted over that way. Had pretty good burgers and fries.

AD:

Posted by: justacruzr2 (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 04:22PM

ChicagoJoe Wrote:
> Richard Stachowski Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anybody remember the Buss Drive in on 95th in
> > Oaklawn? That was in the 50's Car hops and
> all.
> > We stopped there on the way to the Starlite
> Drive
> > in Movie on 95th and Ridgeland.
>
>
> Buss Drive In was a regular stop for me in the
> 60’s. Another popular drive in Oak Lawn was the
> A&W on Cicero just north of Southwest Highway.
> A&W was almost as big as Skip’s with the muscle
> cars back then. The most popular late night place
> for teens in Oak Lawn back in the 60’s and
> 70’s was White Castle on 95th.

Absolutely. The White Castles was THE place to see and be seen in the 60's thru the mid 70's. I think Buss's closed shortly after 1969. We all went up to White Castles with our rods and there was a circuit between the White Castles and the McDonalds at 91st and Cicero. It actually got written up in the July 1971 Car Craft magazine article titled Chicago Drive-Ins. The cops would kick you out of White Castles if you didn't get something to eat so we would put our empty cups and hamburger boxes on the dashboard so it looked like we were eating and could hang-out longer. Those were the days. I miss them.

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 04:53PM

We all had a neighborhood place with the best burgers. However, the true best were at Pat's Ranch on the South East corner of Wolcott and 19th, across from Harrison Park. The hamburgers were made fresh from ground round when you placed your order and they had home made krinkle-cut fries and thick shakes. It was owned by Joe Paterek, the polka musician, and his wife. Unfortunately, it closed in the 60's when I was still young

AD:

Posted by: steven0155 (---.wireless.t6b.com)
Date: August 24, 2014 12:00AM

What happened Whimpies Burgers they had 7 stools only at Clybourn Ave.east of Wayne ave. I was born & raised at 2231 N. Clybourn Ave. my dad would take me there for the best burger & chili in town.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2014 01:40PM

Does anyone remember the Pie-Pan Restaurant that use to be at the south west corner of Cicero and Peterson were the Edens Office Plaza is now?

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2014 07:18PM

[b]There was also a Prince Castle on 95th & 54th Ave. in Oak Lawn and on Harlem ave about 57th. That was in the 50's. Also Little pigs on Harlem and 57? Was A&W root beer.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 07:20PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2014 09:45PM

rjmachon Wrote:
> Does anyone remember the Pie-Pan Restaurant that
> use to be at the south west corner of Cicero and
> Peterson were the Edens Office Plaza is now?

--I remember that place largely because of the large scale ice cream cone that adorned the corner of it. When I was a kid, we often drove out that way on Sunday evenings to visit the grandparents. When we passed by the Pie-Pan, we argued about what flavor the ice-cream cone was this week.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2014 01:28PM

A small little building on the east side of Cicero Ave. just south of Belmont. I believe their was no name and the sign on top just said "Hamburgers"? Anyone remember the place? There was a Burger King on Belmont Ave. just west of Oak Park Ave. It closed quite a few years ago and the building is now gone.

AD:

Date: November 06, 2014 11:50PM

I forgot to mention my favorite place for breakfast or lunch was Johnny's Snack Shop 4412 N Central Ave Chicago IL. Dunning/Portage Park. John owned the little place for years. The place had a counter with stools and about 6 booths against the wall. Johnny would serve you big proportions. The joint was always crowded and Johnny would cuss out the waitresses and regulars of the restaurant but it was all for fun. Last time I was there Johnny still owned it and was the cook. Last I heard he was killed somewhere in Chicago. After that his partner who cooked also took over. Not long after that the business was sold and the building was taken down. Anyone have information on what happened to Johnny and later the business?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 07, 2014 01:00PM

The Burger King on Belmont & Oak Park closed back in the 1970's and was converted into a drive thru only Walgreens. After Walgreens took down everything on the south side of Belmont between Oak Park and Newcastle and built their new store, the former Burger King became an insurance office. The business grew and grew, and I am not sure if the original building is actually incorporated into the core of the building that's located there now. On the south side of Belmont, there used to be a drug store on the corner (Marcoe Drugs or Rabin Drugs?), a little restaurant named Cheerio, a Ben Franklin store, and the last building was a large Laundromat that used to be a grocery store. All gone now.

AD:

Date: November 07, 2014 02:42PM

@Cragin, Johnny's was next to the Standard Oil gas station on the west side of the street. I remember the gas station sold out to C Davis Rental and became the location to get your trailer hitch installed.

I know that the owner of Toot's Drive Thru just south Johnny's was also shot and killed sometime around mid 1980's.

AD:

Date: November 07, 2014 04:13PM

@rjmachon, Thanks for that information about that Burger King. I am sure there were many more before it but that is the first one I remember going to. I never knew that about the Toot's owner. I heard through sources that Johnny was killed in the same fashion. What a shame Toot's had to close and now sits a strip mall. Since I'm on the subject, Wally's Hot Dog Stand on Central & Diversey is another good place that is now gone.

AD:

Date: November 07, 2014 05:50PM

I use to stop at Sammy's for hotdogs when it was on the corner of Long Ave. and Irving Park Road, when it was in the trailer on the gas station property. (it is a Enterprise Car rental now) This was around 1973. Then they moved to Central and Irving where the Little Caesars is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 06:04PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 07, 2014 06:12PM

There was a hot dog trailer on Harlem, just north of Addison, on the west side of the street. It was named "Our Dogs Make Friends." It was located where the large condominium building is now located. It was run by two middle aged women, and they were extremely friendly. There is another hot dog trailer, not sure if its still operating, on Long just south of Addison. It's right on the south side of the E & J Service Station lot. I haven't been down that way in a while, but I know that a few years ago it was still in business. E & J has also been there forever, as I can remember going by when it was still a full service Conoco station.

AD:

Current Page: 5 of 6

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact