fiction films shot on location in Chicago

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
fiction films shot on location in Chicago
Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 11:51PM

Add this one to your list - a crime thriller about Chicago called "Chicago Syndicate" (1955). It's a film-noir B-movie, but the plot was entertaining and the 50's Chicago scenes were terrific. The movie kicks off with a murder of a mob accountant who gave inside info to a newspaper man, and of course the "Syndicate" didn't like that. The newsman then gets some leading Chicago people plus lawmen together to try to "break the Syndicate wide open." They persuade Barry Amsterdam (played by Dennis O'Keefe), an aspiring accountant dreaming of starting his own business, to infiltrate the mob (headed by actor Paul Stewart) to get the lowdown on the crooks. Barry ends up doing an amazing job, for an accountant! Other interesting cast members include the real Xavier Cugat playing the band leader and his actual wife (Abbe Lane) as their singer. But the use of actual Chicago street scenes is what made this a very interesting movie for a Chicago history buff like me. You can see many long-gone or changed downtown locations (theaters, buildings, restaurants, bridges, street signs) and era shots (men in hats, big cars, 50s "el" trains & buses), as well as hear dialog about real places (streets like Halsted, Ohio, Maxwell and locations like The Palmer House). Lot's of fun! I gave it an 8.

Alan

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: fiction films shot on location in Chicago
Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 05:08AM

In the movie, Thief which was filmed in Chicago in 1981, I was wondering if anyone remembers were the house was in the shoot out at the end of the film. I know it was on Balmoral, but where? From what I remember I thought it was close to River Park. Does anyone remember this?

Thanks

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 11:49AM

Most recently, "Backdraft" was filmed in Chicago.
But, going back further in time, there's this one by Chicago's Selig Polyscope Studios which, in the year of our Lord 1907, was a feature, albeit only about 10 minutes long.
I presume "His First Ride" was filmed on the North side somewhere since Selig was located near Western and Irving Park Road and you can observe that there is an angled main street with streetcars in some scenes, possibly, Lincoln Avenue or Clark street. But, I am unable to locate the neighborhood scenes, the side streets are unfamiliar to me and, as I've been in Florida for almost 30 years now, I cannot do any field research. If anyone can determine the locations where this was shot, I would be most interested.
Anyway, here's a Chicago on location movie made over 100 years ago.

http://archive.org/details/His1stRideSD_show

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 04, 2013 01:16PM

There are some questions about whether 'His First Ride' was actually filmed in Chicago - there was a recent post on the Chicago Screenshots website that mentions it being filmed in Colorado, and the book 'Hollywood on Lake Michigan' alludes to it being filmed elsewhere as well.

AD:

Posted by: jvonfurst (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 03:35AM

Essanay studios did silent films: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essanay_Studios

1345 W. Argyle St

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 11:29AM

One of the FC Features -- The Extension and Removal of Ogden Avenue -- two movies are mentioned: "Goldstein" and "Cooley High."

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/the-extension-and-removal-of-ogden-avenue/

When I saw the photos shown from Goldstein movie street scenes, I had to see it. Filmed in 1964, it very briefly showed a street that my father and his parents lived in; and on the very same block -- until about the early 1930s -- now torn down, and rebuilt. I bought the film, but was disappointed that it did not show more of the street's buildings than in the photos; other than the man in the wheel chair and his companion climbing a stairway in a building. Goldstein has many Chicago scenes, and is a most unusual movie! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 09:39AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 29, 2013 04:03PM

Yes, Goldstein is certainly an "interesting" movie to say the least. It looks to me like bandit filmmaking in places (i.e. at the airport without permission, etc). The scenes driving up in Marina City in the garage are just eerie.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2013 10:22AM

davey7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Goldstein is certainly an "interesting" movie
> to say the least. It looks to me like bandit
> filmmaking in places (i.e. at the airport without
> permission, etc). The scenes driving up in Marina
> City in the garage are just eerie.

No other movies, I imagine, were ever filmed inside a meat packing plant, the Oriental Institute, or on a pier in Montrose Harbor, either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 11:37AM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: October 30, 2013 05:18PM

Not all at once, no!

AD:

Posted by: CrazyIvan25 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 01, 2013 04:45PM

Oh come on guys and gals, what about BluesBrothers? I think it is the quintessential film from Chicago!

Another is of course The Fugitive! The Polish lady that takes in Ford while he is hiding out was my mother's make up artist! I remember going to her house many many years ago as a kid! I think that was the house I went to as well when my mom was getting her face done up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 04:47PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2013 11:10PM

A while back, I posted to the Q&A forum regarding a film that was shot in Chicago around 1970, and am still searching for info. However, I did get some welcome input about some possibilites, like "Goldstein" and a few others.

Now, my question is: Where do I find these movies, for purchase or rental? These films weren't the kind of blockbusters that would available at a video rental place
or flea market. Any comments? Only place I know of is Facets, which is a great starting point. But there must be more options.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: Wyoming Ed (---.direcway.com)
Date: December 05, 2013 02:07PM

Don't forget Steve McQueen's "The Hunter." Great scenes on the El and the car driving off the Marina City parking ramp into the river. I lived in Marina City when that scene was shot and got to view it from above.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2013 02:51PM

Mikey Wrote:
> A while back, I posted to the Q&A forum regarding
> a film that was shot in Chicago around 1970, and
> am still searching for info. However, I did get
> some welcome input about some possibilites, like
> "Goldstein" and a few others.
>
> Now, my question is: Where do I find these movies,
> for purchase or rental? These films weren't the
> kind of blockbusters that would available at a
> video rental place
> or flea market. Any comments? Only place I know of
> is Facets, which is a great starting point. But
> there must be more options.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> Mikey

Mikey - my copy of Goldstein was burned by a friend from a movie channel (can't remember which one at the moment). I don't know if it is available elsewhere. You might also check Reckless as they do get some obscure titles in from time to time.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2013 03:45PM

Mikey, here is more info on Goldstein.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.htm?isPreview=&id=453452|453547&name=Goldstein

You will have to search "Goldstein" on the TCM website for the article and to buy a DVD of it. If you Google "Goldstein movie" and you can get the direct lick of the article.

I also seen it online at 1channelMovie for free where you can also download it for free.

http://www.1channelmovie.com/search/goldstein/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 03:54PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 04:57PM

Fantastic! Thanx, davey7 and rjmachon, for the input! I'll check out those sources.

Mikey

AD:

Date: December 06, 2013 09:27PM

No problem Mikey.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: December 09, 2013 04:24PM

rjmachon Wrote:
> In the movie, Thief which was filmed in Chicago in
> 1981, I was wondering if anyone remembers were the
> house was in the shoot out at the end of the film.
> I know it was on Balmoral, but where? From what I
> remember I thought it was close to River Park.
> Does anyone remember this?
>
> Thanks

It was in Budlong Woods, just not sure where.

There were [b]tons[/b][u][/u] of films shot in Chicago. Some very well known (Batman Begins, Capone, The Fugitive, nearly everything by John Hughes) and many that should be forgotten (e.g. Fearless Frank).

Risky Business had some great Chicago scenes as did My Bodygurd, Stranger than Fiction, High Fidelity, Chain Reaction, Color of Money, Weather Man and lots, lots more.

AD:

Date: December 09, 2013 07:09PM

The movie My Bodyguard (1980), had a memorable scene, for me; of Lincoln Park, and a motorcycle pushed into a park lagoon.

AD:

Posted by: roosterdavis (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 02:13AM

Next of Kin with Patrick Swayze. He's riding on top of the L (ya know, like you do) downtown. There's a big battle in Rosehill Cemetary at the end.

I thought one bit in Primal Fear with Ed Norton that was interesting was when they said they were going to John Barleycorn it was ACTUALLY John Barleycorn's.

I watched them shoot some scenes from Gangster (Lawrence Fishburne) around Clark and State. It was pretty cool to watch how they turned a sunny, 80 degree day into a hellstorm of rain with the big machine and a bunch of grey tarps hung in the air.

AD:

Posted by: EricV (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2014 05:22PM

rjmachon Wrote:
> In the movie, Thief which was filmed in Chicago in
> 1981, I was wondering if anyone remembers were the
> house was in the shoot out at the end of the film.
> I know it was on Balmoral, but where? From what I
> remember I thought it was close to River Park.
> Does anyone remember this?
>
> Thanks

[url=http://www.itsfilmedthere.com/2012/04/thief.html]Chgo filming locations[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 05:24PM by EricV.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact