Provenance

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Provenance
Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 11:19PM

In the "Odds and Ends" department of Forgotten Chicago there is a photograph of the now-vanished Marigold Bowling Alley at Broadway and Grace. This would have taken its name from the Marigold Gardens which, when anti-German sentiment rose at the time of World War I, was the name given in 1915 to the Bismarck Gardens, SW corner Grace & Halsted. That beer garden had been built in 1895 by brothers Emil and Karl Eitel to serve German-American residents on the North Side. As did other popular beer gardens, it had trees, a dance floor, live German music, and beer. There was also a year-round beer hall. In the 1930's the establishment took the name Vanity Fair. Jazz Age Chicago says part of the beer hall is still standing---I will look for it next time I'm around there.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Provenance
Posted by: BWChicago (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 02:04AM

The old arena is now the big church behind IHOP. Not much to look at.

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 03:39PM

the old arena is the former Marigold Arena, which held wrestling matches in the 40's, early 50's, and televised on the DuMont Network, was the first national wrestling television show. Legendary WGN broadcaster Jack Brickhouse was the announcer.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 01:56AM

The Eitels also owned the Bismarck Hotel and the Old Heidelberg restaurant on Randoplh. Their cornerstone is still on the hotel/theater building.

AD:

Posted by: Tim (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 12:32PM

I recall attending a few wrestling matches at Marigold Arena. Just as hokey then as now. It was, however, great fun. The personalities of the day were "wrestlers" known as Seaman Art Thomas (ggod guy) and Haystacks Calhoun (billed at 601 lbs.).

AD:

Posted by: captain54 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:17PM

Tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall attending a few wrestling matches at
> Marigold Arena. Just as hokey then as now. It
> was, however, great fun. The personalities of the
> day were "wrestlers" known as Seaman Art Thomas
> (ggod guy) and Haystacks Calhoun (billed at 601
> lbs.).

In the book "Portions of a Life: Recollections and Reflections" by Michael Fak, the author talks about growing up in the shadows of Wrigley Field in the 50's and remembers attending matches featuring Gorgeous George at the Marigold. Gorgeous George was a huge celebrity, the likes of Lucille Ball and Bob Hope. Muhammad Ali was reportedly influenced by Georgeous George. The author also talks about a 12 chair barbershop across the street from the Marigold that had the walls lined with pictures of Gorgeous George.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact