Very cool old neighborhood tavern building.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Very cool old neighborhood tavern building.
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 12:40AM

As I was taking my usual stroll through the neighborhood via google maps I came across a very cool old neighborhood tavern building in Hegewisch located in the middle of a residential block at 10350 S. Avenue M. What a cool building. I can only link it from Cook County Assessor. According to tax records I looked up, the owner has owned it for a while. The building was built in 1895. If someone would right click and save the photo and post it here in this post I would appreciate it.

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/Property_Search/Property_Details.aspx?Pin=26083110440000

It seems that the "neighborhood block" mom and pop tavern is going the way of everything else that was once good in Chicago. I wish there was one on my block so I could pretend to be an old fogey and sit there and drink Oldstyle. Maybe we can use this thread to post cool pics of your favorite neighborhood tavern building.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 05:19AM by Berwyn Frank.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Very cool old neighborhood tavern building.
Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2009 04:15PM

Just make a screen capture and upload it to Tinypic:

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 26, 2015 10:48AM

In the 50's and 60's my Uncle Bob owned Bob's place (I hope the link will work) 2132 N Winchester in Bucktown - architecturally not quite as creative, but imagine the full front with the colored old tavern window glass and the building painted a glossy, shocking deep blue - the 'gangway' to the yard was covered and cool when you're a kid. Right there in the middle of a residential block, it was complete with drunkard regulars - scary dudes!

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9203229,-87.6764885,3a,75y,278h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRex_KdcuFFb1ALy_IxTqHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 10:56PM

I think I was in that bar many years ago. LOL I use to hang out in that area in the mid 1970's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 10:56PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 11:41PM

Many taverns in Chicago had unique designs, stuffed in the middle of the block, corner buildings. There was always a couple of taverns in the neighborhood bars.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2015 04:48PM

Btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact