License Plates

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
License Plates
Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2015 12:15AM

In the spirit of adding new topics to defeat the spammers, I wanted to share this oddity with you. How long have you had the same license plate number? I remember this was a big thing with my grandparents and parents, and I kind of have continued the trend. The current license plate number, registered to me on my car, was first issued to my grandfather back in 1928 when he bought a new Hupmobile Century Six Sedan. He promptly drove the car into a curb, and from that point let my uncle and father do all of the driving. The plate was transferred to a 1940 Dodge, then a 1949 Chrysler, then a 1965 Chrysler, 1977 Dodge, and finally a 1995 Dodge. Upon my dad's death, I was able to get the Secretary of State office to reassign the number to me. So, eighty seven years with the same plate! Grandfather to son to grandson..kinda neat, eh?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: License Plates
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-64.myvzw.com)
Date: October 11, 2015 12:35AM

I've had mine since 1984, when I bought my first new car, a Volkswagen Golf. I've had it with my 1991 Ford Festiva and my 2001 Ford Focus, but unless I win the Lucky Day Lotto soon, I'll have to retire it, since I'll have to sell the Focus before we move to our farm.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2015 11:47PM

This has nothing to do with how long I had my number, however, my father in law gave me a series of plates dating back for every year dating back to the late 20's through the 90's. Some of the plates were made of cardboard in the 30's. Of course, I added my plates to the collection. Now you keep a plate for five years and update it with stickers.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-105.myvzw.com)
Date: December 25, 2015 04:27AM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ours is similar to other states, whereby if you
> have current antique vehicle plates for a car, you
> can display plates from car's year of manufacture
> as long as you carry the A/V plates with you. I
> display YOM plates on my car.
>
> I once had a '54 Chrysler that had a '71 Chicago
> city sticker on the windshield...the image was of
> the new McCormick Place. I'll see if I can find a
> photo.

Fluid Drive equipped?

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 25, 2015 10:26PM

^ Yep. It once belonged to a railroad executive so it had all the options besides air conditioning. He must have been a junior exec though, because it was a New Yorker Deluxe, not an Imperial.
Come to think of it, that car came with YOM plates too - green field with white raised letters/numbers.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-103.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2015 02:45AM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ^ Yep. It once belonged to a railroad executive
> so it had all the options besides air
> conditioning. He must have been a junior exec
> though, because it was a New Yorker Deluxe, not an
> Imperial.
> Come to think of it, that car came with YOM plates
> too - green field with white raised
> letters/numbers.

YOM plates?

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2015 05:23AM

My high school car was a 66 442 I bought in 70. Sold the car in 72 and kept the plates in my dads garage. A few years back I bought a 72 chevelle put it back together and now have my old 442 plates on it as y.o.m.
Y.o.m plates are year of manufacture.If you have a car built in 65 you put a 65 plate on it.I paid a $10.00 to register mine a they don't expire until the year 2038. Not a bad deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2015 05:33AM by Trosky.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: December 26, 2015 05:05PM

Year Of Manufacture. Now I understand!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact