Mr. Kelly's, The Happy Medium, London House

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Mr. Kelly's, The Happy Medium, London House
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2009 09:58PM

Did anyone go to any of these night spots? Now long gone. Also the College Inn at the Sherman House - a popular night spot and prom location. The State of Illinois Center now stands on that spot.

Ramsey Louis was a regular at the London House on Michigan and Wacker. Mr. Kelly's was at the juncture of Rush and State, I think. Sinatra and other notables played there.

The Happy Medium was a music night spot if I recall. My piano teacher worked there.

Rush Street was a first class nighclub location back then.

Here is a piece on The Sherman House which depicts its connection to the Jazz Age.
http://chicago.urban-history.org/sites/hotels/sherman.htm

Background information on the London House. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_London_House,_Chicago

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2009 10:37PM by fleurblue.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mr. Kelly's, The Happy Medium, London House
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: September 21, 2009 11:28PM

http://www.misterkellys.co.jp/roots/index.html

My father frequented those places and had so many great stories, like the time he caught one set by June Christy at Mr. Kelly's, then took the el to the Sutherland Lounge to catch the second set by Nina Simone. He once saw Lambert, Hendricks and Ross at Turk's (now Mother's) and during the break talked with Dave Lambert while Lambert was taking photos of the rainy street scene.

I was fortunate enough to have Marian McPartland autograph his copy of her live London House album for me.

AD:

Date: September 21, 2009 11:34PM

Wow, great memories from a great time in Chicago.

AD:

Date: September 21, 2009 11:41PM

I guess the clubs were all pretty mob controlled. I went to high school with a girl who was a professional pianist and played now and then at the Happy Medium. She told us of an incident where another piano player had his fingers smashed with the piano cover by some mob thug. I guess he didn't dance to their music, so to speak.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2009 11:16AM

Naitonwide, most of the nightclubs, record labels, music publishing companies and booking agencies then were mobbed-up to some degree. One of the more famous stories from the Jazz Age involves Joe E. Lewis and the Green Mill, but underworld control was common up through the early days of rock 'n roll.

The Jazz Showcase has old showbills from previous locations like the Happy Medium and The Brown Shoe hanging on the walls. Great stuff.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: October 07, 2009 02:47PM

I remember seeing Blood Sweat and Tears at Mr. Kelly's (or was it the London House?) in the early 70s. Small club for what was then a very popular group.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 01:59AM

If you need an incentive to go to Gibson's Steakhouse, in addtion to the great food, they have several interior and exterior Mr Kelly's photos on display.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2012 09:57PM

[b]Ramsey Lewis was at the Londen House for many years on Wacker Drive. He also lived in Chattam. In 1960 I was a TV service man and I had a call at Mr. Kelly's. The set was on a shelf and in the corner and turning it aroung I broke the neck of the picture tube. I worked right around the corner at 58 w. Maple. That was a very expensive service call for me.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Cholly (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2014 03:35PM

When I worked for NBC in 1956, I'd sometimes go to the London House after work. I remember seeing Teddy Wilson (one of the really great pianists) and Jo Jones (drums) there.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 10:44PM

I remember going to Mr. Kelly's a few times in the early '70s with my wife on our wedding anniversary. Once, comedian David Frye was the performer and another time we saw the comedy duo of Hudson & Landry. I recall it wasn't very big and the food was good but not great, but it exuded a certain class and it was very enjoyable.
When we became parents, we didn't go out much and then it was gone. We moved to Florida 30 years ago so the memories are a little dimmer every year.

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 04:47PM

I presented my wife with her engagement ring at the London House back in the summer of 1972. Ramsey Lewis was playing. I was 20,she 18 It was special. It became a Burger King after that. Therefore never had the opportunity to celebrate our 10th, 20th etc. there.

AD:

Posted by: JaceMattson (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 17, 2014 08:24PM

I used to work for Norman Kean who managed/owned London Houses, Happy Medium and Mr. Kelly's. It was an amazing job for a 20 year old hippie. I got to meet Ramsey Lewis, George Shearing, Freida Payne, Billie Preston etc. I was also involved with the Medium's presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar. Needless to say, I had a ball!

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: September 18, 2014 10:40AM

The Marienthal brothers owned all 3 at one time. One of George Marienthal's sons opened the great New Mexican restaurant Blue Mesa (where Boka is today).

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 08:22PM

Ramsey also played at "George's" on Kinzie in the 70's, I had a BD there with him playing. That place is still a club and cool to the Millinials, called "Guilt Bar" now.
I was smiling when my two adult boys told me that they were frequenting one of my old places!

What about the Gaslight Club? I was a member there.
BBC on rush? Sweetwater? Those were 70's places.

Black Orchid?
Tip Top Tap?

I am looking for info on the riverboat from the fifties /sixties, I thnk it was the Sherry S?
Anyone remember it?

AD:

Date: January 04, 2015 10:41PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZvosRi-udfc/Se1CQvQxwmI/AAAAAAAAAfI/ZCkeB1DrrGU/s1600-h/colonyclub.bmp

The Colony
744 n Rush

AD:

Posted by: chipandkathy (24.30.42.---)
Date: January 15, 2015 01:47AM

Ok, Fscott, now you are talking! Rush Street in it's heyday! BBC, Sweetwater, Arnie's, Faces, Jays, Mothers,

I found a picture of that riverboat. It was called Sari's Restaurant/Lounge.

AD:

Date: January 15, 2015 02:10AM

Yea, Faces..

The guy who owned Faces opened a place called Narcisse about ten years ago. Its gone now too but It was copied in North Scottslale.
Some guys just know how to put a club together.

Hey, do you remember Manhattan? Rush and Ceder? Cigarette girls with pill box hats and little frilly tutu skirts?
I think that was my favorite, but it dident last long.

AD:

Posted by: chipandkathy (24.30.42.---)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:29AM

Vaguely...a lot of my memories are pretty hazy! What was that club that Barbara Eden (I Dream of Jeanie) was part-owner of? Was it Huckelberry's?

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 12:09PM

Fscott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Cigarette girls with pill box hats and little
> frilly tutu skirts?

When my niece was young (now in her 20s) I tried to make sure she was exposed to the classics of American culture. Whenever we watched tv we would watch old movies and shows like Capra or Citizen Kane or the Marx brothers or The Avengers or Get Smart or SCTV.

We were watching some old movie, I forget what it was, maybe The Big Sleep, when she asked me what was up with these women with tutus and trays.

I had to explain to her that, once upon a time, it was not only legal to smoke in restaurants, but they used to send scantily clad young women around to sell you cigarettes.

AD:

Posted by: jd6716 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2015 12:18AM

There were good restaurants down there,Armandos, Adolphs,Chez Paul. Milanos on State/Division open all nite.The Oak Tree at Rush/Oak. BBC-Bombay Bicycle Club. Mr. Kellys-saw Dick Kavett, Chad Mitchell in the 1960's. You could eat at Mammys or Cartons all day.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact