Willow Springs Cemetary

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Willow Springs Cemetary
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2009 12:08AM

Does anybody know about a small fenced in cemetary about 20' X 20' on top of the hill west of willowsprings road on Archer avenue? It was just west of a Polish or Bohiemian resturant. The resturant was a yellow brick on the south side of Archer. The graves and the fence were on top of the hill. I think the cemetary was dug up and something was built on that site. It also had an iron fence around the spot. Looked like a family burial place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 12:15AM by Richard Stachowski.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Willow Springs Cemetary
Posted by: Bruce (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 09:57PM

Richard,

That does not ring any bells. It cerytainly would not have been anytime recent - as in the past 50 years.

Bruce

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 03:30AM

Richard,

What was your reference on that?

Something tells me there was a plot of gravestones on top of the hill in Fairmont Cemetery, but over by the NE fence that had a small fence around them at one time.

Bruce

AD:

Date: August 26, 2009 08:59PM

I was up there myself and they were graves and a fence around then like a small family grave yard and not a part of Fairmount or just head stones but graves.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 09:08PM

How long ago?

Bruce

AD:

Date: August 26, 2009 11:04PM

In the late 50's or early sixties.

AD:

Date: September 06, 2009 03:49AM

Richard,

I called Slim, and there is no-one still living in Willow Springs that knows the town better then him, and he said he does not ever remember a cemetery as you speak of in Willow Springs. He stated that he recalls that Rosary Hill in Justice may have had some small burial plot at some poit that was removed because of the construction of 294.

Other that that, this one I can't help with.

Bruce

AD:

Date: September 06, 2009 06:01PM

Bruce: Thanks for the reply and investigation but I do remember it very well. Do you know the yellow brick resturant on the south side of Archer avenue west of flavin road? It was about a few hundred feet west and up the hill south. I think when I get a chance I will go there and see if there are any traces of the family plot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 06:03PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: September 06, 2009 10:09PM

Richard,

This is where you are causing me to short circuit. There is no restaurant on the south side of Archer 100 ft from Flavin. The first restaurant on the south side of Archer off the corner, which is across from the Willowbrook is the old Spaitis' grove (once was Dean Stump's, and now some Irish bar here recently). This is the two story restaurant. Between Spaitis' and Flavin are woods. There is the old CCC parkway that was restored a few years back, but that is it. There has not been any businesses between the two points south of Archer in at least 75 years if not more. The order of businesses on the south side of Archer heading to the southwest (Archer actually runs north and south through there; was - Spaitis' Grove, Tarnow's Grove (Hall of a 100 Bargains), the old Saint's and Sinners and Fairmont Cemetery. That was it as far as I remember off the top of my head.

Yes please take a drive back there and let me know.

Bruce

AD:

Date: September 07, 2009 12:12AM

Later the hall of bargans was built in front of it. The graves would be behind the hall of bargans that isn't there anymore. The resturant you mentioned is the one I talked about. I will take a walk up there when I get time.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2009 01:19PM

Richard,

The Hall of 1000 Bargains, was a dance hall that had been there since before the 1950's.

I was just up there a week ago. A funeral parlor bought out the old Hall of 100 Bargains and tore it down. The old hall was butted up right at the foot of the hill. I was up there because one of the owners of the funeral home stated there was a crypt sized "air shaft" up there, inferring a tunnel. I asked Slim about this air shaft, and again, no one knew about it. I went and looked for it myself and I found nothing. I walked all the way back east to the CCC bridge. I even followed the path at the top of the hill that runs directly behind Spaitis' old building and nothing. I think someone was telling this woman at the funeral home a line.

Before about 1923 Willow Springs road used to run right along the Eastern edge of Fairmont Cemetery from 95th to Archer. This was removed for the present location after they extended 95th street to Archer through woods to create a roadway for the new Maple Lake that was just created at that time.

Yes please, I am anxious as to what you may find. I will call Slim again,. now that I have better coordinates.

Bruce

AD:

Date: September 07, 2009 01:43PM

I am just surprised that nobody seems to know anything about it. I am 73 years old and I cant expect younger folks to remember some of the things I do. Like Camp Kiwanis where I spent a lot of time camping in winter and summer in the late 40's and early 50's. I will take a look to see if there are any traces of that plot when I get the chance to.

AD:

Date: September 07, 2009 02:20PM

Richard,

Camp Kiwanis is still there, though I think the liberal progressives have forced the County to chase the Boy Scouts out. I don't think it is actively used as a camp any more. In fact I know it is not.

As for younger people being unaware of some of the old sites, I understand what you are saying, that is why I went to Slim. He is right behind you at 72.

Bruce

AD:

Date: September 07, 2009 05:47PM

Bruce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Richard,
>
> Camp Kiwanis is still there, though I think the
> liberal progressives have forced the County to
> chase the Boy Scouts out. I don't think it is
> actively used as a camp any more. In fact I know
> it is not.
>
> As for younger people being unaware of some of the
> old sites, I understand what you are saying, that
> is why I went to Slim. He is right behind you at
> 72.
>
> Bruce

We used to all meet by the cannon on Flavin and Archer then hike to Camp Kiwanis.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 06:29AM

I called my cousin yesterday and made mention of old family matters. He is a Mathie - old Palos/Sag Settlers, and he informed me that there is a graveyard much like what you describe off of Will Cook Road in Lemont near 83 and Archer. Apparently it is an old farmers/settlers graveyard up on the hill. It is overgrown now I am told and cannot be seen from the road. It was bought by the property owner next door who now owns a graveyard which he can't touch. Could this be what you are recalling Richard?

Bruce

AD:

Date: January 21, 2010 06:29PM

That's most likely what it is but I am sure of the location on Archer. I asked my sister who is 82 and she varified it with me in that location. Now her husband was related to the ones who owned the yellow brick resturant on Archer Rd. I discovered it in the early 50's when we climed up the hill. I tried to spot it on Google but couldn't be sure on any trace of it. I may go up there when I can even though I don't climb as well as I used to. Thanks for the information about the settlers grave sites.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2010 01:36AM

St James at Sag Bridge is on Archer Ave. there is a polish restaurant near there.The cemetery is on a hill and their is a big gate around the place.

There is also a small cemetery called Bachelor's grove on 143rd and justamere road by rubio woods forest preserve. it has about 20 graves and is surrounded by fence.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 09:15PM

Richard, do you know about the little roadside park that's directly across from Sma's (formerly Tim's) carryout? It's a long rectangular plot on a small hill surrounded by a short stone fence and has a statue of a soldier(?), some sort of memorial, historical marker. Looks like it dates back to the 30's as some sort of picnic/rest area, you can see where cars could once pull in but is now grassed over. I've always wondered what that was.

As for the The old Hall of 1000 Bargains - oh man, that place was a staple of my childhood. If I had a handful of places to wish back again, that would be one of them. The sign out front (with the clown) said "Tarnow's Grove Hall of 1000 Bargains", I'm assuming that was the original name of the place/dance hall. I didn't know the store's prior history but suspected something like a tavern/roadhouse. Oh how I would love some pics of that place.

AD:

Date: January 25, 2010 09:40PM

If you would climb up the hill behind 1000 bargans you would see the small cemetary about 20' X 20'with an black iron fence around it and a gate. Anyway that was in the 50's. I wonder if there is any trace of it left.

AD:

Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 11:52PM

Found this from 2006
Mayor Nowaczy announced that the plans for the
funeral home has been submitted. He reported that
it will be located on the old Hall of 1000 Bargains site
which is just west of Courtright’s Restaurant. He
talked about how nice the building looks in the plans.

AD:

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact