Sherlock's Home

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Sherlock's Home
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 02:26AM

Did anyone frequent a small bar called Sherlock's Home on north Michigan Ave.? I think it was across from the Drake Hotel.

It was a fun, quaint place to stop for a drink with dark, Engligh decor. I remember drinks served in a hurricane-style glass, or maybe it was just the Irish coffee I ordered.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Sherlock's Home
Posted by: greatzambo (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:11AM

It was in the Jacques' Bldg., now all displaced by the new 900 N. Michigan structure with Bloomingdale's in it. Sherlock's entry was off of Walton St. You could sit in elegant wing chairs and have a drink, a free clay pipe, and use the ample jars of Iwan Ries tobaccos which were placed there. It was meant to give the illusion of a London Mens' Club like The Drones in the Jeeves stories. It was pricey but worth it for the quiet and comfort.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:52AM

Thanks, greatzambo. Didn't think anyone remembered the place. I used to go there for drinks with friends after work and then to dinner. It was another nice place to frequent in those days. I now remember the wing-backed chairs and I seem to remember the color green was dominant, and plaid? It was a cozy, comfortable establishment to frequent.

AD:

Posted by: chgobill67 (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2011 08:50PM

They had great french dip sandwiches

Bill K.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: February 07, 2011 12:57PM

Hands down, this was my all-time favorite place to go for a drink!

AD:

Posted by: itsdawn (---.hsd1.nm.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 01:13AM

Ah yes, Sherlock's Home...one of my favorite places! I'd get the fish & chips. I remember big green wingback chairs, and an authentic London phone booth. I also remember two other restaurants in the building---Tail of the Whale, that had a little footbridge over some water, and also Jacque's Garden or something like that. If I recall, it had a big domed glass roof in Jacque's that could open so it was like being outside. Does anyone remember that?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact