clock towers

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
clock towers
Posted by: emolek (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 02:35PM

Loved the article in the Tribune. As a 6th generation Chicago native I have many similar attachments to the secrets and history of chicagos past. One of my favorite secrets to photograph and visit have been factory - school clock towers. These are very prevalent on the northside river and ravenswood areas. You can find many of them along Ravenswood avenue and the Chicago river stemming of off Irving Park Road. My favorite is right behind a park near the boys and girls club on the east and south side of Irving Park Road. If you follow the river - and therefore industry that was built along the rivers - north along Ravenswood avenue and then riding in and out of many side streets you will find more factories along the Chicago River the clock towers ( some turned factories to condos). These were great to hunt for on runs or bike rides. Best kept secret and a great treasure hunt. Having married a South sider I have found a few that rival this area on the southside but I am just have not find the right location. Also you can head south and find many more towards addison etc. behind Bradley place and WGN studios. The one I mentioned I believe is an old coil factory.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: clock towers
Posted by: JonnyOYeah (---.sac-1.depaul.edu)
Date: March 13, 2008 11:44AM

Don't know if you saw this one, on the SW Side, Damen at Pershing/39th street has a real sweet tower for the moribund Central Manufacturing District.

AD:

Posted by: paw (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 12:39PM

Where the old Bridge was. It is pretty huge.

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.176.244.66.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:33PM

My photos in this thread http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/read.php?2,173 are inside this clock tower.

JonnyOYeah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't know if you saw this one, on the SW Side,
> Damen at Pershing/39th street has a real sweet
> tower for the moribund Central Manufacturing
> District.

Chuck
http://www.chucksphotospot.com

AD:

Date: March 13, 2008 07:01PM

OMG! When I first saw them a few weeks ago on your site I was so secretly hoping that they were taken there. (Side note, Chuck, when are you going to have the Brickyard photos up?)

chuck Wrote:
> My photos in this thread
> http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/read.php?2,173
> are inside this clock tower.

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.176.244.66.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:04AM

The Brickyard photos are up on my old site...

http://www.chucksphotospot.com/originalsite/brick01.html

AD:

Date: March 14, 2008 01:54PM

Another good clock tower -- PULLMAN. The state was just able to rebuild it almost as it looked prior to the two main fires in the 1990s.

When I started work at the site nothing remained beyond the upper brick work (see for the Built in America photo from before the fires, sorry, can't add an embedded image for some reason). Remnants of the original clock faces that didn't melt down to slag are being kept in nearby, and the melted cracked ball that was once the bell is being kept int he erecting shop to the right.

It sounds stupid, but I think that Robert Zemeckis (who came from Roseland) based animation for the North Pole in "Polar Express" on this building and Pullman's market square.

AD:

Date: March 14, 2008 02:01PM

chuck Wrote:
> The Brickyard photos are up on my old site...
>
> http://www.chucksphotospot.com/originalsite/brick0
> 1.html

Sweet. Thanks!

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2014 01:42PM

I.S. Berlin on Belmont & the Kennedy Expressway has a beautiful clock tower. I.S. Berlin was demolished in the late 1960's. A strip mall was built where a Dominick's was built and now is gone. When going by on the Kennedy when approaching Belmont you couldn't miss the I.S. Berlin factory.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2014 07:45PM

I.S. Berlin was torn down in 1976. Here's a photo of the old tower right before being torn down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49081287@N00/127707532/

Here is a aerial view from 1966.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/6955984721/

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 01:37AM

I collect old postcards of Chicago and that is the only way I know that there used to be a clock tower on the building at Clark & Chicago that until recently housed the Panang restaurant (now closed---I don't know what is happening with that building). Anyway, per the postcard, the building was originally called the Bush Temple of Music. It housed a piano company and a lot of music studios and was a very handsome building. At some point the clock tower was sawed off and now the white decorative panels are a mess. I wish someone would restore the building but I wonder if it is scheduled for demolition as Panang has flown the coop.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2014 03:24PM

The building that housed the Panang Restaurant was built around 1901. This building was the former Palace Hotel. Interesting to know that in it's early years it was a building with a strong musical connection. Also at one point the 6 story building had an 8 story clock tower.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 04:02PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 18, 2015 05:28PM

Can't believe nobody brought up the one on Lane Tech?? One little motor inside running all four clocks outside. Just climb up that ladder outside of the Greenhouse entrance up on the center roof!!!. Maybe you can't anymore since they added GIRLS.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 02:39PM

thimmaker Wrote:
> Can't believe nobody brought up the one on Lane
> Tech?? One little motor inside running all four
> clocks outside. Just climb up that ladder outside
> of the Greenhouse entrance up on the center
> roof!!!. Maybe you can't anymore since they added
> GIRLS.

I graduated from Lane in '56, but never had the opportunity to climb up to the "Greenhouse entance". ;-)

By the way, back in the mid or late 40s, when walking at night, one would often hear the loud, hourly chiming nearby of St. Michael's church clock in Old Town; and on the church's 290-foot spire, "A large four-faced Schwa Back clock."

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2015 03:41PM

My favorite was the clock tower on the Stewart-Warner factory. You could see it from the Kennedy and they kept it in working order up until the end. I didn't have a clock in my car so that was a useful landmark for me.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact