Happy Day Stables

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Happy Day Stables
Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2009 02:14AM

Did anyone go to Happy Day for horseback riding. It was, I think, on Cumberland Ave., north of Lawrence.

I went riding a few times with friends and the area seemed to be totally forest preserves. I don't remember much more.

I heard that there were some connection with employees there and the Helen Brach (candy heiress) murder.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Happy Day Stables
Posted by: Vern H (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 06:51AM

It was on Montrose just east of Cumberland where the Butera is now. I don't know anything about the Brach stuff though.

AD:

Date: August 01, 2009 05:35PM

Thank you for the info!

AD:

Posted by: marfair (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2009 06:39PM

fleurblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone go to Happy Day for horseback riding.
> It was, I think, on Cumberland Ave., north of
> Lawrence.
>
> I went riding a few times with friends and the
> area seemed to be totally forest preserves. I
> don't remember much more.
>
> I heard that there were some connection with
> employees there and the Helen Brach (candy
> heiress) murder.

I seem to remember the great crime reporter at WBBM TV, John Drummond, discuss the alleged involvement of a gentlemen known as Silas Jane in the Brach case.

AD:

Posted by: Philomena (---.frstil.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 02:25AM

When detectives were investigating Silas for the Brach case, they reopened the 1950s Peterson Boys Murder. Was it confirmed he killed the 3 boys at the stable? The bodies were found in the forest preserve, on Lawrence, West of Cumberland.

AD:

Posted by: jessesgirl (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:29PM

Yes, I went horseback riding there many times. At the time it seemed as if this was leaving the city.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:35PM

The Butera site is within Norridge city limits, actually, but Chicago proper is south and west of it. Norridge is an 'island' burb surrounded by Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: gmelzie (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2009 08:36PM

I used to board a horse at Happy Day during the late 60's and early 70's. Anybody out there from that time period?

AD:

Posted by: Way Back (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 01:20AM

My father boarded horses at Happy Day. One in "B" barn and two in "C" barn. "A" barn was for the rental horses. For some reason he pulled out of Happy Day and moved to Coach House(?) Stable which was just down the street.

AD:

Posted by: terrypaw231 (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 05:49PM

Little late to this board, but I remember it well. I lead trail rides there for close to 10 years. I was there for the closing in 1978 (I think). It burned down after it was deserted and I know how it happened (unintentional).

Terry P

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 04:26AM

Cumberland/O'Hare area still had rural parts in 1969-71 when my folks met friends to go riding there.

It is too bad the place is now remembered for the murders.

AD:

Date: November 10, 2010 11:27AM

As a sidebar to the Happy Day topic, years ago I went to the Helen Brach mansion in Glenview with some friends for a Showcase House open house. I think we each paid $10 for a ticket and the money went to charity.

The house was set far back from the road. It was a colonial-style building, if I remember correctly.

A group of us toured the property; it was untouched and had the same decorating style and furnishings as it did when Brach lived there. The one room that stood out was the red and white striped ice cream parlor. It had small tables and a full-sized operating soda fountain in white marble with red and white striped stools. Fitting for a candy heiress. I pictured ice cream socials being held there.

Overall, the tour seemed a bit creepy since this was the house from which Brach was abducted (by her driver?) never to be seen again.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 04:57PM

Used to live across Montrose in the temporary vets housing setup there for the returning WWII vets. We lived on Pittsburgh Ave just west of Thatcher. ventured to the stables but never rode. we were lil kids then..1947-1954

AD:

Posted by: Jamaicans (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 02:07PM

Best years of my life spent at that stables. That was my home away from home

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 04:45PM

Wasn't there some other horse stables in that area? I remember the Flying W for some reason? I know I went riding at Happy Days as well in the early 1970's.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 02:57PM

If you rode at HD, be advised they have a FB group..Happy Days Stables - Norridge, IL

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 02:59PM

Here's the link...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/189837317714450/381016035263243#!/groups/HappyDayTerry/

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact