Off the radar, only in Chicago dishes/desserts/drinks

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Off the radar, only in Chicago dishes/desserts/drinks
Posted by: amybizzarri (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2015 08:47PM

I know all the usual favorites (Deep Dish Pizza, Italian beef...), but what are your favorite Off the radar, only in Chicago dishes/desserts/drinks? Any dishes/desserts/drinks that are no longer around?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Off the radar, only in Chicago dishes/desserts/drinks
Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 18, 2015 11:50AM

Green River Ice Cream Floats?

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 12:09AM

[url=http://www.affytapple.com/]Affy Tapples![/url] Apparently they've gone nation wide in recent years but the Affy Tapple company claims to have invented caramel-coated apples right here in 1948. When we were kids in the 60's, they seemed to be only around in the Fall. They used to sell them at school for fundraising (you had to order them in advance).You could also find them in local drugstores which would keep them in a tray near the counter. Their factory was in my neighborhood on north Clark Street into the 1970's and you could walk in any time and buy "broken stick" apples for a nickle (eventually, a dime). Same thing for their other product - "Frosted Bananas" which were those bananas on a stick that were dipped in chocolate and frozen. These days Affy Tapple is located in Niles. I think you can buy them just about any time of the year in the produce department of major grocery stores (Am I wrong about that?)

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 03:01PM

Although I loved eating Affy Tapples (and still do) when I was a kid I hated the selling of them through Chicago Public School promotions, as much as I hated us kids having to sell anything through a CPS promotion. What ridiculously exploitative and comtemptible enterprises foisted upon grade school kids.

Don't buy Affy Tapples though, get a far better product from STAN'S GROCERY at Elston & North Aves, sold there with or without nuts. My wife buys them for me from time to time and it's the only acceptable proof I have that she still loves me (they're that good).

I thought the Affy Tapples factory was in the 5000 block of west Belmont Ave (across from Foreman H.S.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 03:02PM by the_mogra.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 22, 2015 06:54PM

Affy Tapples was been gone from Belmont Avenue for years.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 07:09PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Affy Tapples was been gone from Belmont Avenue for
> years.

Affy tapple was at Clark and Touhy, they moved to Niles fifteen years ago.
You guys are thinking of Andrew's Caramel Apples they were at 5001 west Belmont. But they moved too.
Now they are at Dakin and Normandy

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 23, 2015 11:40AM

you certainly can't pin these taffy apple manufacturers down

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 04, 2015 12:51AM

Burny Brothers bakeries! They made great coffee cakes and pastries. I don't really remember any of their free-standing bakeries, but Jewel always stocked Burny Bros. products in their stores. They never went coast to coast and I believed they were swallowed whole by Entenmann's when they blew into town around the late 70's.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2015 12:59AM

Burny Brothers had a huge bakery out on North Avenue, in Northlake, right by I-294. I believe it was right next to a railroad viaduct. The building was torn down quite a few years ago. I had a neighbor that worked there, he originally was transferred to Entemann's, and later Thomas English Muffins. I am not sure on this, but I think some of the commercial end of Burny Brothers was taken over by Alpha/MaryAnn Bakeries, but I am not sure. All of the consumer stuff went to Entemann's.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 08:31PM

My father was a union baker and worked for Burny Bros. Bakery on 4600 West Chicago Avenue in the 1960's and 1970's until the close of the company. Here is a website showing the plant and the products they made.

http://burnybros.blogspot.com/

Burny Bakers was the wholesale division of the bakery located in Northlake on North Avenue.

Beatrice Food first own Burny Brothers and sold the Burny Bros operation to Entenemanns in '79.

One of the Burny Bros. stores was in Logan Square under the CTA Terminal in the 60's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 08:34PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 08:52PM

A couple of other bakeries was the Signe Carlson Bakery at Foster Avenue near Clark Street and Thompson's Bakeries in Norridge on Irving Park Road and Park Ridge on Touhy.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact