The stroll

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
The stroll
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2009 09:48PM

Does anyone have information on the "stroll"? It was from 26th st. to 39th st. on State Street. Very little is left. I think a building on 36th or 37th is still standing.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The stroll
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2009 02:08AM

The book Building The South Side by Robin Bachin has extensive descriptions and history of The Stroll, with such places as the Pekin and Vendome Theatres, the Mecca Flats, the Cabin Inn, Apex Club and the Royal Gardens. A very interesting and well-researched book.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 09:46AM

Thanks I will look for that book. We have shelves of old Chicago books at our Oaklawn library that I never took advantage of. Thanks very much.

AD:

Posted by: Serhii (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2009 02:29AM

A significant amount of this book is available online at: http://books.google.com/books?id=_yR46e7-mVgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Building+The+South+Side+by+Robin+Bachin&ei=JEwKSta6MI7SMKuFhMcL

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 11:58PM

Hey Rich,

Your talking about a building called the stroll and I remember doing the dance called the Stroll. Very popular back in the late 50's early 60's. My wife and I still love to dance, especially the JItter Bug. We belong to the Moose Club it's like a playground for seniors, dancing every week. We belong to the American Legion and sometimes they will hold a dance for special occasions.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-64.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2016 04:04AM

BTT.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 27, 2016 01:33PM

btt

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact