St George German Catholic Church

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: St George German Catholic Church
Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:30PM

St George in Bridgeport was a Lithuanian parish. Sadly it's now long gone, but it was very beautiful.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: billyfrank (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:46PM

if you get a chance check out St John the God on West 52nd Street they moved the Church to Lake County Illinois ....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157627114661800/

not the same but the spirit is in the lives on the souls that built it Bill

AD:

Re: St George German Catholic Church PHOTO
Posted by: skj (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2015 01:26AM

I was excited to stumble upon this forum and read the postings about St. George's. I've looked for photos for years unsuccessfully, but I have the Unger Book now and have copied the photos, but I don't know how to post them or if it's even possible. My grandparents were married there in 1911 and my dad was baptized and went to the grammar school until his father died. They were from Burgenland (St. Michael and Neuberg)

AD:

Re: St George German Catholic Church PHOTO
Date: June 12, 2015 08:45AM

Morning, just back from 3 weeks family visit in Burgenland. My cousin just started dating Helmut Kulovics from Neuberg. Would you be able to send me photos or anything you may have to my email ? corey52@msn.com Bill Arthofer ( 53rd Carpenter ) thanks

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 12, 2015 12:17PM

Interesting that we have Burgenlanders here. My paternal grandparents emigrated from Neumarkt-am-Tauchental, in kries Stadtschlaining, back in 1906. What's unusual is that except for family members, we grew up unaware of any other Burgenlanders in the Chicago area. I later found out about the Burgenlandishe Gemeinshaft and all, and discovered that most of the Burgenlanders lived in the Fuller Park area, and a lot of them emigrated during the troubled times after the First World War. My grandparents came over much earlier, originally lived on Bissell Street, then lived on Lowell Avenue for the rest of their lives. My dad was born in an apartment across the street from Kelvyn Park High School, and then my grandfather built a 2 flat on Lowell just south of Armitage Ave. in 1922. The family always went to St. Philomena Church on Cortland Street, and I believe they were even married there before they lived in the area. My great uncles all lived either in Hermosa, Cragin, or the Mont Clare area, and no mention was ever made of other Burgenlanders.

AD:

Date: June 12, 2015 12:27PM

not sure if you have ancestry.com or not but I have tons of birth, death, marriage records from St Philomena Church, also Hungarian birth death marriage records from Stadtschlaning (Preinsberger, my mother's family) and also Neumarkt.If your interested and do not have any of these records, I would be happy to try to locate them for you. This is my hobby....like 10 hours per day and no rest (even do this on Sundays lol , Bill I beleive my ancestry screen name is williamkarthofer BILL

AD:

Posted by: skj (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 12, 2015 01:08PM

Just sent the photos to BillyFrank. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for the offer re Ancestry.com. I have it and brought back some family info from my recent trip but haven't had time to get to it yet. My family was strictly south side!! My grandmother's maiden name was Blaskovits (Croatian) and she was the one from Neurberg (Újhegy). Maybe I can take you up on your generous offer. You are probably familiar with the Burgenland Bunch group?

AD:

Posted by: olinrogers (117.247.203.---)
Date: June 16, 2015 03:27AM

That is an awesome determination, and is something that is truly achievable. In this manner enlisting a [url=http://essaysorigin.com]custom essay writing services[/url] dependably advantages students to beat their scholastic writing obstacles.

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact