Commuter Station

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Commuter Station
Posted by: marfair (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2009 07:21PM

Within a north side history book by Samors is displayed a photo of a long defunct Northwestern North line station (High Ridge) located at Granville and Ridge. Does anybody have info as to when that station was closed?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Commuter Station
Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 07:37PM

I don't know about that particular one but many city stations were closed in the 50's on the C&NW lines because the RR was having a lot of problems and the new pesident Ben Heinemen felt it was nccesary to shut down stations that were not as busy.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 01:47AM

I believe the big closing of C&NW commuter stations was in 1955-56. Part of Ben Heineman's plan to revive the North Western was to modernize and speed up its commuter service, and he convinced the city and state that the neighborhood stations that were closed served areas that were already well served by the (also modernizing at the time) CTA.

The station mentioned sounds like it may have been Edgewater or Rosehill. There is an in-service picture of the Rosehill station in a book on the Chicago streetcar system.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2010 02:58AM

High Ridge is mentioned in the 1891 [i]Standard Guide to Chicago,[/i] which says it is on the North Western's Milwaukee Division, 8-1/4 miles north of the city hall. That would place it just north of Devon, so I think it must be the station later known as Kenmore, below.

[i]Illinois Place Names[/i] lists a post office by the name [i]High Ridge[/i] on the far north side of the city from 1888 to 1894.

A 1915 [i]Chicago Tribune[/i] map shows the Milwaukee Division stations in Chicago as:

Clybourn
Deering (at Fullerton)
Gross Park (at Belmont)
Cuyler
Ravenswood
Summerdale
Rose Hill
Kenmore (just north of Devon)
Rogers Park

In 1935, all remained, though Gross Park had been renamed Belmont Ave.

All but Clybourn, Ravenswood, and Rogers Park were eliminated December 1, 1958.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 07:42PM

Could it have been at Touhy (or Pratt) where the current High Ridge Y is?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-104.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2016 01:20AM

Mtt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact