1940s

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
1940s
Posted by: LOAnnie (---.mammothnetworks.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:44AM

Hello,

Although I didn't "grow up" in Chicago - we moved to NH when I was five, 1947 - I do have a few very fond memories of early childhood there:
We lived in the Kenwood area of Hyde Park on East 50th Street.
I remember spending many glorious days on the beach at South Shore Country Club, which my sister tells me has been turned into a youth center or some such? Good.

I haven't much time this morning, so I'll get to my question: Are any of you old enough to have gone to dance classes at Mrs. Morgan's Dance School? Arrgh! This memory of mine! It might have been "Miss" Morgan's or just Morgan's, and it might have been "school of dance". Anyway, I was three when I went, but my short experience there - recital in pink rayon costume, (blue "M" emblazoned) carrying a huge cotton carrot - is deeply entrenched in my mind. I'm doing a painting with that as the subject, and the one thing I can't remember is what we wore on our feet? May have to wing it.

Thanks for any help!
LOA

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 1940s
Date: February 11, 2009 03:27PM

Three hours later and the unfinished canvases are taking over my studio.

My sister and I were adopted out of the Illinois Children's Home, (thus the LOAnnie - Lucky Orphan Annie) four years apart - my sister first, so she remembers much more about 1940s Chicago than I do. Here's what I remember:

Our Bowman's Dairy milkman, Elmer drove a buggy with a horse named Johnny.

I went to Kindergarten at Faulkner School for Girls. I always called it Miss Faulkner's school because the Misses Faulkner who ran it were such a presence - and in the kindergarten, there were boys.

I loved taking the IC into town. Around Christmas time we'd make a special trip to see the Marshall Fields windows - magical!

We lived near "Farmers Field" where Mommy would take us sledding on pleasant winter days while Daddy was at work. He worked for Central Screw Company located across from Comisky Park, home of the Chicago White Sox. I still root for them! C.S.Co. in Chicago was eventually sold to the White Sox for parking space.

Now back to work - more anon~
LOA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 10:27PM by LOAnnie.

AD:

Date: February 12, 2009 12:32PM

Jack Spratt's:

My first encounter with and subsequent love affair with brilliant color.

We often walked to Jack Spratt's for after-church brunch. On one of these occasions - I must have been four years old - we were about to cross the street to the coffee shop when I saw an African American girl about my age wearing the most glorious colored socks I'd ever seen in my life! They were glow-in-the-dark-knock-your-eye-out-fuchsia! I pointed at them and tried to tell my parents that I wanted a pair exactly like! My parents seemed embarrassed and kept telling me not to point. The little girl and I just grinned at each other as I was hauled away to Jack Spratt's.

AD:

Date: February 15, 2009 10:32PM

As Forgotten Chicago is more about architecture and infrastructure than personal stories, I'm hoping to get my sister in here as soon as she recuperates from her trip. She remembers more of the important points, (such as; Kimbark Avenue dead ended in our front yard on 50th Street, and that our house was built in the nineteenth century post The Fire).

Here's what I remember about the house on 50th Street - very little:
The front lawn sloped, and I loved rolling down it. In the back yard, we had a swing set with two swings and a slide. I loved the swings but wouldn't attempt the slide unless Mommy was there to catch me at the bottom. My sister had a playhouse that she allowed me to enter if none of her friends were around. There was a huge fence and gate out into the alley, (having read here about the Wood Block Alleys, I wish I knew how ours was paved). I remember empathizing with Peter, (of Peter and the Wolf fame) for we were regularly admonished not to go through the gate and never, never, never enter the shade shop across the alley. I was a biddable child and not as brave as Peter, but my sister was. She not only went through the gate but entered the shade shop as well. That, however, is her adventure, so I will let her tell it if she will.
I remember these things about the inside of our house: Our bedroom had four poster beds. We'd drape our bedspreads over those posts and pretend the were ships, or tents, or castles. We'd jump from bed to bed being very careful not to fall into the monster infested water between them. We had a radio that my sister liked to listen to at night - spooky programs - "Who knows what evil lurks...? The Shadow knows." And the Lava Soap ad - "L-A-V-A" backed by the sound of heavy stomping. Ooooo! I stuck my fingers in my ears and my head under my pillow. My favorite part of the room was the closet - it had shelves - where Kewpie, and Nancy Ann and her "Frock-'O-The-Month" clothes, and The Carrot were kept. The Carrot? That's a tale for another time.

P.S. If big sister appears, she'll probably tell you Elmer's horse's name was "Mike" not "Johnny". She's probably right - maybe.

AD:

Posted by: danngirl (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 03:58PM

I just joined this group and am tooling around trying to find out if anyone remembers Ebingers' Bakery on Armitage Ave near Laverne Ave in Cragin. My family use to own the IGA store next door. Does anyone remember Cohen's Department Store or Kessleman's Candy Store?

Take the girl out of Cragin, but not Cragin out of the girl

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-100.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 03:54AM

Anyone can help these ladies out?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-100.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 04:04AM

Move to top!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact