adventureland, old chicago, santa's village

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
adventureland, old chicago, santa's village
Posted by: karensorensen (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2009 06:54PM

I am a newspaper reporter looking to interview folks from the Aurora, Joliet, Naperville or Aurora areas about their memories of these defunct amusement parks as a tie-in to the closing of Kiddieland in Melrose Park.

My general interest is why these places remain so nostalgic for those who went there as children, what it means that the last one will soon be gone, did Great America play a role in their inevitable demise, even if it took three decades to accomplish it?

If you're interested, please e-mail me at karen.sorensen@att.net. Tell me what town you live in and provide a phone number through which I can reach you during the day.

Also, I'll be following any notes that are posted here as well.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: adventureland, old chicago, santa's village
Posted by: Johnny Chicago (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 02:16AM

Do not forget Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom, another place close to your target interviewees -- at least where many of them would have been 30+ years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM5VjXwHKVU

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2009 01:31PM

What about Fairyland Park in Lyons, about 4000 s harlem and the rented cabins on the south side of it. Anybody know?

AD:

Posted by: jessesgirl (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:35PM

I remember them all. What a shame that these amusement parks closed and now Kiddieland. I also remember the kiddieland in Lincolnwood.

AD:

Posted by: TomB (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 10:21PM

And Finks Links in Niles. What was the one in Skokie near where Old Orchard Mall is today?

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 03:02AM

Have, or used to have, have to look, pictures of me and ma and pa at Santa's Village. Question, Where was it?

AD:

Posted by: wow1029 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 11:55PM

always enjoy reading your works Karen.I went to Old Chicago but was very little then.I often went to a place in Justice called Playland Park which was great.I also miss the Bolingbrook wave pool:(

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 04:19PM

@murphman. It is still open from what I see for 2013.

Santa's Village Azoosment Park • 601 Dundee Ave • East Dundee IL • Just North of I-90 & South of HIggins Rd. (Rt.72) on Dundee Ave. (Rt.25) • 847-426-6751

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: January 02, 2013 08:12PM

"Chicagoland's Amusement Parks of the Past"

Join the Clear-Ridge Historical Society as we welcome local Chicago historian, photographer and internet host Edward Kwiatkowski, Eddie, host of the popular Chicago area Internet transportation photo site known as "Eddie's Railfan Page", as he presents a musical photo slideshow and video presentation, spotlighting Chicago's once numerous and now long gone seasonal family owned amusement parks on Saturday January 19th at 1:00 at the Clearing Library, 6423 West 63rd Place.

If you can remember Riverview Park in Chicago, Adventure Land in Addison Illinois, Fairlyland Amusement Park in Lyons Illinois, Playland Park in Justice Illinois, Dispensa's Kiddie Kingdom in Oak Brook Terrace Illinois, or any number of these now long gone family entertainment venues from Chicago's past, then you definitely will not want to miss this fun and very family oriented presentation. Admission is free! For more information your can email the historical society clearridgehistory@yahoo.com or call the library 312-747-5657.

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 07:13AM

Thanks RJ Surprised to see something is still where it was. Was about four or five when I was there so had no idea where it or I was. Do remember Old Chicago in Bolingbrook. First time I saw a Wendys. Had not even opened yet. Wonder if it was the first in the chi-town area? Was in 1976.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-101.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 04:58AM

Btt.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 21, 2016 04:44PM

btt

AD:

Date: January 22, 2016 01:43PM

BTT

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:30PM

BTT

AD:

Date: January 26, 2016 02:03PM

BTT

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact