There's No One Listening

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
There's No One Listening
Posted by: wayupnorth (172.87.4.---)
Date: September 22, 2015 11:59PM

Months ago, I reported the spam posts that started showing up, with a warning that if the individual responsible for administering this forum didn't take action the whole site was done for. Well, today the inevitable result of ignoring all of our pleas for administrative action has occurred. It's my opinion that there is no one at the helm of this site, in which case it may behoove all of us to take matters into our own hands and start an alternative forum where all things concerning Chicago history and memories can be shared and kept alive. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the options. At the present time this forum is, unfortunately, toast.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: There's No One Listening
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-101.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 12:29AM

Ok. Big question is what software you'd use, and how you would handle a problem like this.

I hang out on a political blog that has some heavy-duty spam blocking, plus there's community moderation. But that is backed up by the site owner, who has a business, and they allow legitimate ads, and also allow blocking those, through subscription.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 01:35AM

It looks like you're right about the fate of this place. I'd like to help out establishing a new spot but unfortunately, I know little to nothing about that sort of thing. You can count on me a as a regular participant though - probably more regular than I am here if the forum proves to be more user friendly than this one is. I've always resented the fact that photos are so difficult to post here since photos seem to be integral to some of the subject matter. I'm behind the effort 100% - I'm just not sure what I can do to help.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2015 01:51AM

Count me in. Although I probably would be of little help in the way of setting up/running a new forum, I would certainly back it financially (as meager as that would be).

I'm not on Facebook - has anyone contacted Jacob or the other FC owners directly?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-66.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2015 02:10AM

I PM'd Jacob, offering to do cleanup if they gave me access. Being retired gives me a little more time.

AD:

Posted by: West Town (64.107.32.---)
Date: September 24, 2015 12:09AM

This I crazy, I had to go back six pages before I found real content from us users.

AD:

Date: September 24, 2015 01:27PM

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. I'm in the process of exploring the options for an alternative "Forgotten Chicago" forum. My wife is an internet site designer/marketer and the new forum will be much more flexible and user friendly than the current option. I will keep you all in the loop via this thread, but expect about a week's worth of work before the new forum is ready to fly. Security-wise, there will be blocking software in place, as well as active moderation beginning with myself and anyone else who feels inclined to pitch in. If you have any questions or input, feel free to PM me or post here.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2015 02:07PM

[b]I can't but I hope somone can do something here. I can't but leave.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 01:46PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: September 25, 2015 12:11AM

Hi All,

I'm going to keep bumping this so that those who need to see it will see it. Again, give me a week and we'll get something else going that keeps the spirit of this forum alive.

AD:

Date: September 25, 2015 12:24AM

bump

Wow, less than 15 minutes and I'm already off the first page. Serious shite attack for such a low key site.

AD:

Date: September 25, 2015 12:34PM

bump

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2015 02:11PM

BTT

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2015 11:29PM

Glad you're cleaning up the site. Let me know if I can help in some way. I really enjoy this site and try to read it every day.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 12:24AM

I check this site every night. I enjoy everything about Forgotten Chicago. I posted over 300 comments (not including the many REPORTS on the spam posts) in the last 6 months. Whatever it takes to get rid of the spam or start a new forum.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-72.myvzw.com)
Date: September 27, 2015 06:16PM

Sure would be nice if they could shut off redser45's access, and pull all these scam ads for phamaceuticals!

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 08:42PM

If anyone is really computer savvy, and can identify who redser45 actually is, I would be more than happy to pass this information on to parties who are really interested in the import of counterfeit and substandard pharmaceuticals.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 10:38PM

Just Google "redser45". I found this and more like it.

http://makululinux.com/members/redser45/

Why don't Forgotten Chicago just block that address. I know it is possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2015 10:43PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-105.myvzw.com)
Date: September 27, 2015 11:19PM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just Google "redser45". I found this and more
> like it.
>
> http://makululinux.com/members/redser45/
>
> Why don't Forgotten Chicago just block that
> address. I know it is possible.

Good question, no answer.

However, I've noticed our little "friend" posts between 11 AM. and 1 PM., give or take an hour either way. Whether we could exploit that, I don't know.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2015 11:23PM

I can't believe that we can't get the FCC involved for these groups using free advertising.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-105.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2015 12:13AM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe that we can't get the FCC involved
> for these groups using free advertising.

Under the current laws, FCC has no jurisdiction.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact