Old Time Street Vendors

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Old Time Street Vendors
Posted by: Erie St Danek (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 07:39PM

Do you remember the horse drawn wagons selling vegetables? Big horses and big wagons. Then at some time maybe in the early 60's they were banned off of the streets and could only vend in the alleys. Not long after this restriction they completely disappeared. There was a Waffle Man cart that made waffles out in the street right in his cart. Also an Italian cart we called the "Lupini Man" that made the real Italian lemon ice. Lupini beans marinated in salt brine. Roasted chick peas ...... all 5 cents. He blew a horn to let the neighborhood know he was around. Also a knife sharpening vendor that went down the street blowing a horn and my mother would send me out to get all of her knives sharpened.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Time Street Vendors
Posted by: FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 07:48PM

I REMEMBER THE FRUIT PEDDLERS AROUND DIVERSEY AND HARLEM.1ST WTH HORSES AND THEN MODEL T'S AND A'S....ALSO I LIVED ON NORDICA AND WE HAD PROJECTS FOR THE WORLD WAR 2 AND KOREAN VETS. THE ICEMAN USE TO DELIVER ICE TO THERE ICEBOXS.
WE HAD SISSORS SHARPENERS WHO WOULD PUSH THREE WHEEL CARTS WITH A LOUD BELL ON IT. ETC

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 12:51PM

Frankie - you do know that all UPPER CASE means you're shouting, which I don't think was your intention.

AD:

Posted by: FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 29, 2012 01:01PM

I'm sorry Daveg, i live in fl. now and i didn't think you would hear me!

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: August 30, 2012 12:39PM

FRANKIE C FROM GRAND AND HARLEM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry Daveg, i live in fl. now and i didn't
> think you would hear me!

:-)

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 11:51PM

[size=x-small]I heard ya fine.[/size]

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 08:54PM

[b]All those venders are against the law now. I sold ice cream and then hot dobs and even shined shoes in the late 40's and early 50's. I do see carts in the Mexican areas in Chicago but nobody seems to bother them. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: jldriver (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 05:21PM

Does anyone remember a push cart vendor in Old Town called the "Babalucchi Man". The spelling of his name is a shot in the dark.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2013 04:09PM

Don'T recall the vendor but babalucchi is an Italian dish made with redsauce and snails.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 05:00PM

In 1969 & 70 my high school played some its football games at St. Phillip High School on the west side. I vividly remember seeing horse-drawn junk wagons in that neighborhood. So I can attest that they were still around then....

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 11:47PM

I, too, remember the 3 wheeled cart with the loud, distinctive bell that announced the knife sharpener was in the neighborhood. And I remember the fruit and vegetable peddler who came through the alley; for some reason, I still recall that he would call out "Strumberries" rather than "strawberries" in a basso voice that could be heard a block away. I don't think I've thought about that in 50 years until now.
I remember there were hot dog carts that still worked near Wrigley Field in the mid '60s when I was in HS but I think the City Council legislated them out of existence. Too bad, the hot dogs were excellent and inexpensive.
But, I also remember the junk man with his ancient swaybacked horse and ancient wagon going through the alleys. He was dirty and had an unpleasant personality and we'd have to stop playing catch while he passed by. And, when the horse would - how shall I say - relieve itself in the alley, the mess would be there for a long time. That's a memory that is also quite unpleasant.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2013 02:03AM

I recall Apple Carts on Southport. Late '60s. -- The same kind seen in film from the Depression era.

Then it progressed to people selling Watermellons out the back of Car trunks or the back end of Straight-job trucks.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (108.246.120.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 04:01AM

There was a knife sharpener with the three-wheeled cart and the bell who would come around my neighborhood in SW Oak Park well into the 1970's. My Mom would hear the bell and hand me the scissors and a couple knives and tell me to go out and get them sharpened. I don't remember what it cost but I think less than a dollar. There seemed to me to be no rhyme or reason when he would come around - sometimes there would be months between his visits, sometimes years. It always was in the middle of the day, though.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 12:28PM

The Knife sharener's cart was a marvel to see. It was like a transformer, it opened up to a bicycle type seat, you cranked the pedals, and it turned the big grinding wheel, a small metal can with a shut off valve dripped water on the huge wet stone while it spun around, sparking and screeching.

AD:

Posted by: wags300 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 24, 2013 10:57AM

I remember the junk man yelling out " rags and old iron" while pullilng his
cart down the alleyways around Clark and Foster..more so, not mentioned so
far was an old organ grinder,pulled by a woman down Clark and cranking out
a tune or two in front of the taverns and then going in and picking up some
cash..I could see a lot from our apartment above Evensons food mart on the
corner of Winona and Clark

AD:

Posted by: Greenough (---.krypt.com)
Date: July 13, 2013 03:43AM

Buy RuneScape Electrical power leveling

[url=http://www.mmorsgp.com]cheapest rs gold[/url]
[url=http://www.mmorsgp.com/Runescape-Rs3-gold.html]runescape power leveling[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.ftbg.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2014 02:34AM

There was a hot dog vendor with a home made wooden cart that would walk in front of the Brickyard Mall in the 1970's- mid 80's. The man had one arm and worked very hard. The Jewel Grand Bazarre was aware of this man selling hot dogs. So they forced him off the property of the Brickyard Mall. Then the gentlemen with the cart walked the sidewalk outside the perimeter of the mall with his hot dog cart. Jewel then put out there own hot dog cart in front of the store.

There was a young man who sold hot dogs out of cart in front of the Dominick's store in the 1980's at 3350 N. Western Ave. and sold many hot dogs. I was told he got a job in law enforcement and left the cart business.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2014 03:52PM

There use to be a hot dog vendor in front of the Sears store at six corners late 1970's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 03:53PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 08:07PM

"Joe" the hot dog guy on a cushman scooter with a wooden box in front.
Operated mostly in Brighton/McKinley Park areas.

Best hot dogs ever....mister and spread on with a wooden stick! lol

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 03:41PM

the fruit-wagon vendor who went up/down through alleys in my Humbolt Park neighborhood (early '60s) always had a distinctive loud cry that I have no trouble calling to mind today (or do my impression of after a drink or two)....

STRAW-BERRIES.....BLUE-BERRIES.....CHER..RRR...RRR..RIES!

(do it slowly and with music in your voice)

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact