Diner in Brighton Park

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Diner in Brighton Park
Posted by: cmysli (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2013 04:20PM

Does anyone remember the little old lady who ran a diner across from Peace Lutheran School and Church on 47th and California? I grew up in Brighton Park and attended PL for kindergarten and first grade. My grandma would take me to this diner after school. I would get a chili dog. The lady made everything fresh. I went back there with my son in the 1990's, and I expected it to be closed; however, to my amazement it was still there, and the old lady was still running the place. It was surreal; even the prices and the fixtures were the same! I thought I had traveled back in time. A couple in their 40's was sitting at the counter. They told me they had driven all the way from Wisconsin to eat there. They used to live in Brighton Park. My dad used to shop at Vann's Food Store, and there was a little knick knack store around the corner. I bought some things there as a child.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Diner in Brighton Park
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2013 12:00AM

[b]Oh yes I remember it all. I lived on 46th & Francisco and also ate at that place. I don't think it's there anymore but I'll look on street view. I lived there from 1961 to 1997.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 09:49PM

No, it's gone.
A Latino store of some kind now.
Tastee Freeze is still open tho!

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 04, 2015 10:43PM

Remember my dads place at archer & Califorina
Winslow's?

AD:

Posted by: gerard zagorski (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2015 03:38PM

To answer to the name of the diner,it was el hanos.If there are any other questions regarding Brighton Park, I`ll be happy to try and answer them. The Music Box was at Archer and Albany, and the second floor was occupied by a dentist.Dr. Bonk was his name.He is the only person to pull a tooth out of me.I still own a house on 46th and Sawyer.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact