South side riding stables

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
South side riding stables
Posted by: Bullaras (208.79.244.---)
Date: September 12, 2014 04:19PM

I grew up in Palos Hills in the 60's so I remember a number of riding stables in the area. There was one named High Hopes I believe at the corner of 95th and Kean and I thought Lucky Circle was on the other corner but perhaps my memory is not so good on that location since everyone says it was at 87th and Kean. Palos Stables is still there on Kean before you get to 103rd. There was Green Acres on 88th Avenue owned by Cliff Hartman. His son Cliff Hartman Jr.(AKA Cliffy) bought the stables on the North side of 95th on Kean (named Circle H). That was in the early 70's and that later was sold and became Lucky Lass. Further down Kean past 87th was Dagham (sp.:??) Acres which is still there but named something different. There were places further out, too. I remember one off route 45 that was owned by the Treadways and I also remember out on the way to Lemont off Route 83 there was Mankus's pony farm. And there was also Walter's Barn in Palos Park, a small place but I rode a very nice mare there out on the trails that went to the toboggan slides. There was also a small boarding stable on 119th just over the Cal Sag canal in Palos Heights named Circle A. I went to Girl Scout Day Camp with the daugther of that family, Patty _____ ???. Can't remember her last name right now. Rustic Woods Stables on Kean before it became Rustic Woods was a small barn on the back of Pat Wolak's property where I boarded for a while back in 1973. Pat and her daugther both passed away last year and the property was sold so I don't know if they kept the same name for the place or not.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: South side riding stables
Posted by: rnikischer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 29, 2014 10:03PM

Lucky Circle was just North of 95th Street on the East side of Kean Ave. I used to go there back in the early 70's. I do remember that there was another stable nearby but I never went to it. There were also a few stables on Kean Avenue further North around 83rd Street in Willow Springs. Great Fun back then.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact