Studs Lonigans /James T.Farrell West washignton Park neighborhood

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Studs Lonigans /James T.Farrell West washignton Park neighborhood
Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2011 01:13AM

Anyone here have any stories,memories,interests regarding this neighborhood area? Anyone ever lived there,visited there,studied the area? As a Farrell fan I've become somewhat fascinated with the place and wondered if there were others as myself.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Studs Lonigans /James T.Farrell West washignton Park neighborhood
Posted by: Brule Laker (---.c3-0.mart-ubr1.chi-mart.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 06, 2011 12:14PM

My father (b. 1917) lived across the street from St. Anselm's at 61st and Michigan. My uncle, who will be 100 in January, started school in the neighborhood. They moved to South Shore in the early 1920s.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2011 06:08PM

They were there when all the changes started happening. Of course the area today is but a shell of its former self and has stayed decimated all these years. Do you know if either your father or uncle knew any of the people in Farrells novels?

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (66.248.105.---)
Date: July 11, 2014 02:36AM

Edgar Branch interview Farrell in the 50's and gave the real names of just about every character in the Studs Lonigan trilogy as well as photos of all the places. I went out in the late 90's and photographed all the ones that were still standing. I'm a huge Farrell fan and as great as Studs Lonigan is, I sometimes think the 5 Danny O'Neill books may be even better.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact