Ford City

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ford City
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 10:01PM

If I remember Ford City was the Studebaker plant for a while and also the Tucker.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Ford City
Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: October 08, 2009 05:47PM

There was a Studebaker plant further north on Cicero in the Garfield Ridge community (Archer and Cicero) up until I think the 50's. I can't post but I read old Tribune articles and remember my father telling me.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 06:57PM

Ford City's industrial saga started out as Dodge Chicago during WWII. Chrysler built radial piston engines there for bombers. I think the engine was a Pratt-Whitney design. There was also a housing development built around the same time called Chrysler Village. It is located south of Midway Airport (which at that time was Municipal Field)and many of the plant employees lived there. After the big war the contract was up and for a brief while Tucker occupied a small portion of the plant. Next was Ford, who built jet engines there for the Korean War; I think they got out around '59.
The Studebaker plant was west of Cicero on the south side of Archer a couple miles away from FC.. They built 2 1/2 ton trucks along with other military items. Sears Roebuck had a distribution center along with an outlet store there for years, but between Stude and Sears it was a Government Procurement facility. Kinda like a regional quartermaster.

AD:

Date: October 08, 2009 08:03PM

Chrysler Villiage is still there with people living in it and still called Chrysler villiage. Thanks for the additional information. Is anything left of Chrysler? The baffles at ford City are still there to muff the sound of the Ford engines.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 10:31PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.176.244.66.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 12:41PM

Lustron was supposed to get the plant, but it was then handed over to Tucker instead. I don't remember the details, but I read it on a Lustron page a few years back.

Chuck
http://www.chucksphotospot.com

AD:

Date: October 09, 2009 07:40PM

I had never heard of the Lustron connection to the Dodge Chicago plant so I googled Lustron and this is what I found. Chuck, I don't mean this to be critical of your statement, I'm posting this to be informative.
The Reconstruction Finance Corporation of the Federal govt. approved a loan for the Lustron Corporation to get seed money for a plant start-up, and I think the amount was $12.5 million. In addition Lustron was able to lease 600,000 sq. ft.(one half) of the former Curtiss-Wright airplane factory in Columbus,OH. I read this pretty quickly and I'm doing it from memory; anyway I think the timing of this enterprise was around 1948, similar to what Preston Tucker was up to. There are many parallels here, both in shaky business plans, the War Production Boards reluctance to allocate the amount of materials needed, and (my opinion only) individuals that were more promoter than sincere.
Plant break-even was stated to be 50 homes/day and they never even got close. Regardless, Lustron production was certainly more than Tucker who built 51 cars total. The sluggish build time raised the cost, as did increasing cost of materials, typical of a post-war economy. The average brick and stick built home at that time was $8,000 with a Lustron coming in around $11,000. That extra three grand was a pretty tough nut to crack for Joe Lunchbox. Lusrton went belly-up in 1950 with the RFC holding the bag to the tune of $37.5 million.

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 01:22PM

I'll have to keep digging!

Carl Strandlund was from Chicago and worked for Chicago Vitreous Enamel Company.

http://www.lustronpreservation.org/meet-the-lustrons/lustron-history

No idea where I read the Ford City connection. I could be confusing the two...

Chuck
http://www.chucksphotospot.com

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 01:27PM

Ok, I found something, but don't think this is what I originally read, and possibly, I am thinking back to the Tucker movie!!!

http://www.economicthinking.org/Americanhistory/tucker-greg.html

Go down to the "Government by decree" section.

AD:

Date: October 10, 2009 02:47PM

I live on the south side and do remember seeing these plants.I was like 12 years old at the time. What I would like to know is just where was the Tucker Plant and the Studebaker one like what would be the addresses. I saw where the building of Tucker is on the web still there as another buisness but they didn't say just where it was located.

AD:

Date: October 10, 2009 06:11PM

I haven't been that way in years but I'd say the Studebaker plant was approximately 4900 to 5100 W. on the south side of Archer Ave. Cicero is 4800 and Laramie is 5200.
I'll have to look for info on Tucker. Somewhere around here I have newspaper articles from when the Tucker movie came out. Possibly we can narrow down the location of the area they occupied. I would say it was on the Cicero side of the property but other than that I don't know.

AD:

Date: October 11, 2009 02:36PM

I found the Tucker info and the only mention of an actual address is given as 7601 S. Cicero. The Aug.7,1988 Chicago Tribune gives that address and I'm not saying it is incorrect, but it is also commonly used for the location of the F/C Mall.

In July, 1946 Tucker was able to secure the lease for the plant with two conditions: he raise $15M within the next 9 months and he begin making monthly payments of $250,000. As is commonly known he began to sell franchises (for an unknown/untested vehicle), stock was issued, as well as taking deposits for autos. Chicago White Sox star Luke Appling was one of many who bought into the franchise scheme. The prototype premiered in June 1947 and 18 months later there were charges of mail fraud, violating SEC regulations, and conspiring to defraud.
From the Aug.7,1988 Southtown Economist I found the following: William T. Kirby, born in Chicago, was an attorney who practiced law for the Army during WWII, charged with overseeing changes in manufacturing facilities brought on by the war effort. At war's end he was offered his release from military duty if he would work for the War Assets Administration. Basically he would be "undoing" what he had accomplished during the war. Tucker wanted to lease the Dodge Chicago plant, considering it a public relations coup that it was the world's largest plant. BTW the Southtown gives the intro of the prototype as being June 1948.

This next part is for Chuck-when Kirby and the War Assets Admin awarded the plant to Tucker a fight ensued between members of Kirby's office and the Housing Administration, which wanted to give the huge facility to a "prefabricated housing manufacturer." Lustron isn't named specifically but I'd bet that was the case. I just saw your post on Govt. by Decree and that is proof positive. Edit 5:47PM

As a side note, in 1996 Tootsie Roll celebrated a century in business and one of the items on display was an original Tucker. Tootsie officials believe Tucker used the portion of the facility that they now occupy. For what it's worth that places the address nearer to 73rd. St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 08:48PM by b.a.hoarder.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:34PM

Did you guys see this image I posted on another thread? It may solve the address location issue.

Bruce

AD:

Date: October 18, 2009 10:52PM

THAT LOOKS LIKE THE tOOTSIE rOLL PLANT. Check it out on google or live search. What do you think?

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 01:18AM

You are right Richard. According to various news stories on the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive database, the Tucker Plant address was 7401 S Cicero (this was in an ad from 1947). Then in April 1970, it appears that Tootsie Roll moved their executive offices to 7401 S Cicero. That surprised me as I thought Tootsie Roll was there much longer. I guess from passing it everyday, it seems like it's always been there.

AD:

Date: October 20, 2009 09:26PM

I think Tootsie Roll was there also like you say it's always been there . I am 73 and always remember it in that area of 73 or 74 .

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 12:37AM

Looking back for some more info on Tootsie Roll, I found a story with the owners and Mayor Daley when they signed the lease for an 800,000 sf plant to be located at the Cicero Ave site. It didn't give a specific street address, but did mention the location of the former Ford Plant. This was in Sept 1964. Most likely then, they decided to move the executive offices there a few years later in 1970.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 02:01PM

Here's a link to an article in today's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/guy/1870383,CST-FIN-ECOL07.article#

AD:

Date: November 07, 2009 06:15PM

A great article on Ford City. You should all read it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 06:15PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-71.myvzw.com)
Date: December 24, 2015 04:35AM

Just imagine what might have been if Tucker had succeeded.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 24, 2015 12:12PM

The Tucker was a fascinating car. I believe only 51 were built. Once upon a time, many years ago, I was walking home from St. Priscilla Grade School, and on the northwest corner of Cornelia and Oak Park, I saw a really unusual car parked. I stopped, and was looking all over it, and a gentleman came up, chuckling, and explained it was a "Tucker-Olds." I don't know what the Olds connection was, maybe the transmission was a Hydramatic, but later research indicated that the Tucker had a modified helicopter engine. I went home that night and mentioned it to my father, and he told me that I was crazy. When I described the car to him, however, he was shocked that such a car would be parked on the street in the neighborhood like that. I never did see that car again.

Also, the big Navistar/International Harvester plant at Mannheim Road and North Avenue actually was actually built as a Buick engine plant during the war. An acquaintance who worked there told me there were all kinds of underground tunnels connecting various parts of the building for security reasons.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact