Old Chicago Postcards on Ebay

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Old Chicago Postcards on Ebay
Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2013 11:18PM

I have posted this before but now can't find the post and it's worth posting again. Anyone interested in seeing pictures of old Chicago might want to go to Ebay and search "postcards chicago". Hundreds and hundreds will come up---you can look at them for hours (and maybe start your own collection....). Riverview not only existed but had a lawn sloping down to the river. In the Loop, State Street was jammed with people, streetcars, and horses. On the beaches, people went swimming in an amazing lot of clothes.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Chicago Postcards on Ebay
Posted by: Sit and Stew (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2013 03:57PM

Yeah, there are thousands out there for sale, from the turn of the 20th century up to the 1960's. Many are of buildings that have been demolished which adds to the interest. I personally don't care for those hand colored photograph postcards, but that's just me. There's also a ton of Curt Teich ones on there as the company was on the north side for around 80 years or so.

There's a website called Chuckman's Collection, which is basically tons of scanned postcards of his collection, all Chicago-related. He has a lot of hard to find stuff and the kind of postcards you'd think they'd never have made. Makes for very fun browsing.

http://www.chuckmancollection.blogspot.com

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact