Long Branch Tavern on Western ave.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Long Branch Tavern on Western ave.
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2013 07:53PM

[b]Does anybody by chance remember the Long Brach Tavern on the 4000 block of south western ave. I believe it got it's name because a narrow branch of the river flowed from east of Ashland all the way to 40th & Campbell. I don't think anybody is old enough to remember but may have some information about the river and the tavern.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Long Branch Tavern on Western ave.
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 09:54AM

Richard,
About the river: That is the former west branch of the south fork of the river. The south branch --"Bubbly Creek"-- had an eastern arm and a western arm that branched from of the south branch at about 37 Place, between Racine and S. Iron Street. The west branch continued west and crossed 39th at about Loomis. As I understand, the city, not knowing what else to do with the condition of both arms, filled in the eastern arm of the south fork, and much later, also filled in western fork. The former "long" west branch/fork had reached Western Avenue between 40th and 41st, according to this map --- see the upper right hand corner:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6P33-1897-B536-SW.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 11:40AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 11:56AM

[b]Thanks for the information nordsider: I saw another map showing the river branch going to Campbell ave west of western. One thing I wondered is that where the tavern got it's name. I used to stop in there in the 70's and there was a long narow picture above the bar like a long branch but I didn't give it much thought at that time. Thanks for that map.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 03:54PM

Richard,
You are correct, the river is also shown on this 1890 map, beginning at the 2nd street west of Western Avenue at a north/south street called "Hart".

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/collections/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6-1890-M3.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 06:14PM by nordsider.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact