Soda Pop Home Delivery?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Soda Pop Home Delivery?
Posted by: Otto (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 10:48AM

When I was a child, my Italian neighbors had what I believe was soda pop delivered to them in the alley. Either that or it was stuff to make wine? I think the crates were dull green in color. Does anyone have any more information on this and if there still is soda delivery in the city?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Soda Pop Home Delivery?
Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2012 09:46PM

When I was a child, (late 50's early 60's) we had soda delivered to the house.
the brand as I recall was Montreal. It came in quart bottles twelve to a case.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 06:40PM

I remember buying cans of Montreal for eleven cents a piece at the local Bell Liquor store in the early '70's. Their lemon-lime variety was called "Talk-up" which I guess was some cheap wordplay on "7-up". Bell also sold a local brand of root beer called Filberts. They had their address and phone number printed right on their label (It was somwhere on Ogdon or maybe Archer). The only other-than-milk home delivery I recall was from a company called Home Juice. They delivered juice in block shaped 64oz glass bottles and round gallon bottles with an "ear" at the top. They had dull looking step-van trucks, but being color blind, I couldn't say exactly what color they were (greenish-greyish?)

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2012 08:06PM

recalls seeing empty Lassers wooden crates stacked on Grandma's back porch for a delivery guy to swap at the next delivery.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 02:07PM

HOME JUICE COMPANY was the largest home delivery of noncarbonated juices inluding the best Green Lime flavored juice ever. I used to pour it into popsicle maker for a super frozen treat.It came in 1/2 gal bottles with small glass handle up near the top of the bottles. Vanna had home delivery and I think Filbert's Rootbeer did too.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 02:08PM

My Brother's name is also Otto. Insideout TOOT

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact