Savoy Food Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Savoy Food Stores
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 02:02PM

While looking up something else, I ran across a Display ad for Savoy Food Stores.

The ad gave a phone number asking grocers whether they wanted to become a Savoy store so I assume it operated similar to a Centrella or a Certified. It also mentioned looking for the Savoy emblem and there were products shown with the Savoy brand named.

The ad also mentioned that the brand name was around since 1862.

I never heard of the stores or the brand name and could not readily find anything on the Internet.

Would appreciate any information that anybody could provide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 02:04PM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Savoy Food Stores
Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: February 08, 2013 02:35PM

Savoy was the brand name of canned goods distributed by a Chicago food wholesaler, Steele Wedeles Co. I believe they were located at State Street and the Chicago River. There were a lot of wholesale food distributors located along the river years ago. My grandfather always had Monarch canned goods in his store, which were distributed by Reid, Murdoch & Co., which was located in the old Traffic Court building at LaSalle and the river. Governor Henry Horner was the grandson of Henry Horner, a founder of Henry Horner & Co. which later merged and became Durand, McNeill and Horner, another food distributor, Franklin MacVeagh & Co., was headed by a gentleman who was Secretary of the Treasury under the Taft Administration.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact