Church of the Redeemer (Chicago's Second Universalist Society)

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Church of the Redeemer (Chicago's Second Universalist Society)
Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: January 08, 2013 05:36PM

I've never visited this Church but their website has a nice history of the building. http://greaterunionchurch.org/7243.html They're located at 1956 W. Warren Blvd. From the website,

[i]A contemporary description of the Church of the Redeemer is instructive of late Victorian taste: “A broad staircase leads to the auditory which materially differs from the usual pattern, being a large rectangular hall with organ and pulpit on the eastern long side and seats rising as in a amphitheater. The ceiling is of natural pine, supported by a system of rafters which are painted olive brown and copper bronze. The whole adorned with trimmings and carvings. The beautifully decorated front of the organ and the elegantly carved pulpit in the center of the east wall harmonize well with the rest. The decoration of the walls consists in bronze releaf, terra cotta colored fields, a frieze in dull brown and olive green finials.” The same source describes the windows: “the stained glass paints are very beautiful. The one on the north shows the biblical sower, that on the south a copy of the Sistine Madonna (memorial). The finest of them are, however, in the three large windows on the western extremity of the transcripts (Talcott memorial), especially the central one, representing “Charity,” displays find effects in color.” Since 1928, the Church of the Redeemer has been the home of Greater Union Baptist Church. This congregation , organized in September, 1908, has lovingly maintained this handsome and important structure. The building was rededicated in 1951. Over the years, several major renovations have been completed.[/i]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact