Famous People From Your Neighborhood ?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Famous People From Your Neighborhood ?
Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2014 10:21PM

I'm from Englewood and the Back of the Yards, so starting with the former, at various times we've had

Patrick "Packey" McFarland. Hall of Fame Boxer.
Conrad Dobler. All Pro football player.
Frank Corr. Mayor of Chicago.
Ed Kelly. Briefly before he was Mayor.
Charles Deneen. Governor of Illinois.
Steve Allen. Comedien.

Probably a few I have listed somewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Famous People From Your Neighborhood ?
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 12:36AM

[b]Steve Allen is from Hyde Park. There have been many well known people from that area. Also from bronzville like Luis Armstrong, Nat King Cole and the Marx Brothers all fron South Park area.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 12:49AM

Steve Allen did live in Englewood for a time.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 11:09AM

I can only think of one from the Garfield Ridge area right now, Long John Wentworth. I guess Bill "Lippy" Lipinski (retired) from the House of Representatives might qualify, as well as his son Dan, second generation in the House. When Bill stepped down he used his clout to get Dan slated on the ballot.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 11:48AM

The one bona fide famous person from Edgewater is Clayton Moore of Lone Ranger fame who grew up on Glenwood near Devon. Other "one time" residents include Johnny Weissmuller who's family lived on Granville near Broadway for a time when he was young, and Jim "Fibber McGee" Jordan who was living near the same intersection when his radio career took off in the mid 20's. Gloria Swanson started life as an authentic Andersonville Swede.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 12:20PM by Mornac.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 11:52AM

The singer Wee Bonnie Baker lived in an apartment building across the street from my elementary school in Lincoln Park in the late 1940s with her husband and baby. I would not have recognized her at the time, but her song on the radio "Oh Johnny, Oh Johnny, Oh", was very familiar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 11:56AM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (199.101.76.---)
Date: July 31, 2014 12:24PM

One-time residents near me with some notoriety include:
Hugh Hefner
Sam Greenlee
Hamlin Garland
Henry Schlacks
Robert Conrad

AD:

Date: July 31, 2014 02:11PM

Mayor William Dever lived and died in Edgewater, 5901 N Kenmore (pretty sure he had another place there as well, seem to remember photographing it) and Mayor Martin Kennelly lived at 5555 N Sheridan after he left the South Side.

AD:

Date: July 31, 2014 02:20PM

Almost forgot. Raquel Welch, back when she was Raquel Tejada, lived in Edgewater for a time. If my memory is accurate, I think it was the 5500 block of N Lakewood.

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 07:28PM

Don't forgot Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose first home in Edgewater was demolished decades ago, and the hospital where she was born has been abandoned since 2001.

FC will be doing an all-new and exclusive presentation on Chicago's forgotten political landmarks on Wednesday, September 17; details here:

http://forgottenchicago.com/events/2014-tour-schedule/

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 09:40AM

Rod Blagojevich lived 2 or 3 blocks north of where I grew up. on N Richmond

AD:

Posted by: ChiTownJim (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 10:20AM

I lived in the Hermosa Park neighborhood and Walt Disney's family lived on Tripp Ave in the early 1900s. He was supposed to have went to Nixon School, the same school I went to on Keeler Ave. I don't know how many times we passed his boyhood home without realizing it.

I heard something about actor Michael Gross from Family Ties (with Michael J Fox) lived across the street from Hermosa Park on Kilbourn. He went to Kelvyn Park High and I remember a few friends and I searching the yearbooks for his picture. I believe his mother also worked at one of the schools (I can't say for certain). She was still alive in the 80s when I lived there. In 1990,my last year in Chicago, He was at Hermosa Park signing autographs for a few dollars and we were thinking about going to see him

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 05:09PM

In Chicago,Irv Kupcinet long preceeded me at Harrison High School. Kim Novak lived in one neighborhood to the west.

In Riverside, Frank Nitti.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2014 06:22PM

I remember Barbara Eden (I dream of Genie) building a new house on Tower Court just north of Devon around 1977. She and her husband lived there for about six years.

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2014 04:34PM

Papa Bear George Halas lived in Pilsen. Former major leaguer Frank Quilici lived just west of Pilsen in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood. Benny Goodman went to Farragut High School.

AD:

Date: August 05, 2014 01:43AM

Benny Goodman was from 1125 S Francisco.

AD:

Posted by: Kool Kat (50.126.45.---)
Date: August 20, 2014 04:05AM

You are correct, Michael Gross from Family Ties, Tremors, etc., did live there. He went to the high school that I went to – Kelyvn Park High – but I didn't know him because he graduated in 1965 and I graduated in 1970. Gross was the Class President and was also voted Most Popular.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:11PM

actor Michael Gross mentioned once on TV his Chicago grammar school - St. Genevieve (near fullerton & cicero)

the late comedian Harvey Korman went to my CPS, grammar - Lowell on hirsh st, he being class of '41 I think

in the mid-'60s I'd be at my buddy Dave's house, an apartment bldg in the 1200 block of n. spaulding, and occasionaly his upstair neighbor would give us a few bucks to wash their walls. Dave called him 'Ascher', and he became a hollywood actor, I remember seeing him in a late '70s made-for-TV movie about the Kennedy clan, playing Joe Kennedy Jr. (the oldest son who died in WW2). His full name I think's Ascher Brauer

AD:

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie (24.75.146.---)
Date: April 13, 2015 01:15PM

Went to Farragut H.S. with Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune).Also Kim Novak, Ernie Terrell, Marianne Gaba, Kevin Garnett and Joe Soto went to this school.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact