Chinese Restaurant 1960's

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chinese Restaurant 1960's
Posted by: Sterling (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 03:57PM

When I was a child, my parents were MAD about Chinese restaurants. I was taught and learned how to use chopsticks by the age of 8. One restaurant in particular continues to haunt me, as the staff there was SO KIND and enjoyed the little blond/blue eyed German boy who loved their food and restaurant. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the restaurant! :-(

The restaurant had "banquet" seating which, when not used, was seperated from the rest of the restaurant by large paper screens that moved horizontally. (When closed, they were a paper screen wall that could be pushed sideways to reveal another "level" (one step up) of dining floor.) I remember at least four sets of screens that opened up, each revealing another seating area, each one step above the next.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY this restaurant? It was not Jimmy Wong's or House of Eng as far as I have been able to research.

Please advise.

Sterling

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chinese Restaurant 1960's
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 04:43PM

Where, as in what neighborhood, might this have been in? Hyde Park?

AD:

Re: Chinese Restaurant 1960's
Posted by: Sterling (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2014 05:15PM

I don't know. I just remember the interior and the food/staff. My family is now all gone, so there is nobody to ask......

So much of Chicago that I know is gone....Pump Room, Catacombs, Empire Room, The Bakery, Jimmy Wong's, Kon Tiki Ports, etc. Even the young upstart Charlie Trotter is gone.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact