Early 80's Lucha Libre Pro Wrestling@ Uptown Theater on Ch 26

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Early 80's Lucha Libre Pro Wrestling@ Uptown Theater on Ch 26
Posted by: wow1029 (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 02:25PM

Does anybody recall watching this Mexican(Lucha Libre) Chicago Pro Wrestling promotion on tv WCIU 26 on Saturday Afternoons or in person @ the Uptown Theater? Anybody recall who wrestled here? Thanks!! from 1980/1981

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Early 80's Lucha Libre Pro Wrestling@ Uptown Theater on Ch 26
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2012 05:45PM

I vaguely remember that, found this: "IN the 80's... another Mexican Promotion ran for a short time on Channel 26 Saturday afternoons. Taped at the Uptown Theatre. Blackie (Raul) Guzman, Black Gordman & Goliath were among the wrestlers. Henry Van Loon and Mike Figeroa were the referees in the Illinois Blue and Whites."

from here:http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=71538&page=1

I definitly remember Wrestling from The Olympic Auditorium in LA On Channel 26 Mondays 8pm, my dad used to watch it all the time!

AD:

Posted by: telefrank (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2012 11:33PM

I worked at 26 back then your absolutely correct. It was a local version that wasn't very good. I never even realized it was being recorded at the Uptown till one show where they placed a camera behind the ring facing the audience. What made me so sad was that I grew up near the Uptown, it was my childhood theater and watching them use the grand old lady for this sickened me.

AD:

Posted by: Jazzman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 02:40AM

Hey 222psm that was my post on the wrestling site...

And to you who watched the Channel 26 Spanish matches on Mondays...
It was sponsored by Ben Geller Chevrolet on Ogden ave.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact