Cumberland Ave.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Cumberland Ave.
Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 08:47PM

I understand at one time Cumberland, south of Irving Pk was once called Plebleo. I guess it was changed when the area north of there was built up.

Since the street northbound ends up in Park Ridge I figure that the name Cumberland originates there. Which is interesting since the names of streets that cross into the suburbs usually originate in the city.

Anyone know what's the story on that?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Cumberland Ave.
Posted by: BWChicago (207.10.77.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 03:04AM

I think the name Pueblo came from a stretch in a suburb like Harwood Heights, and Cumberland was always the default. 3350-4900 N were Pueblo. And I think it's still a valid name because it shows on Google Maps.

AD:

Posted by: shoreline (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 12:47PM

I believe that during the mid 60s the street name Cumberland was in place in Park Ridge, but after traveling south crossing the Kennedy expressway into Chicago (approx 5600 N ) the Pueblo signs appeared.

AD:

Posted by: Chris (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 09:33PM

I used to work at Osco on Cumberland and Lawrence in High School. The address there was Pueblo and I couldn't figure out why until someone explained that Pueblo is Cumberland in that section and Thatcher further south. That was weird because at the time I used to live on Thatcher near Osco and it wasn't Cumberland.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 09:56PM

[I]Pueblo [/i]was part of the "Brennan scheme" that gave streets in one section names beginning with K, streets in the next mile names beginning with L, etc. But such a small portion of the street is wholly within Chicago that the regional name overwhelmed official usage in recent decades.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 05:00PM

There's a similar situation with Pulaski and crawford AVe.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2011 03:29PM

Thatcher disappears in River Grove but reimerges at Berteau. Pioneer becomes Thatcher going north toward Montrose. That's why the temporary veteran village there back in the 40s/50s was called Thatcher Homes. We have a group on facebook for all the kids who grew up there. I stopped by there on Christmas on the way to Park Ridge. And also there are still double street signs at Irving Park to include Pueblo & Cumberland. All that land used to belong to indians until it was purchased by the city.

AD:

Posted by: barsntone (---.nat.trb.com)
Date: December 27, 2011 04:11PM

What would've made this entire post somewhat moot is at one point the Cook Cty Highway dept wanted to build 294, from about 55 all the way up to O'Hare Field, along the 1st Ave/Cumberland right-of-way. Thankfully that didn't happen.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 09:57PM

It was Pueblo between Belmont and Foster/Bryn Mawr [?] until around 1980. Addison CTA buses westbound said 'Addison-Pueblo' still when I was in HS, '75-'79.

It was strange that city had the both Pueblo and then Cumberland at the I-90 interchange for a major street. The area between 8400-8800w and Bryn Mawr/Foster [with all the high rises] was not annexed until 1958, so maybe that was why Cumberland name was in use north of Foster to Park Ridge.

I was glad to see Cumberland finally put in place. To clean up maps further, I want to see Elmwood Park and River Grove switch to the O and P names!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 10:01PM by tomcat630.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact