Glenview Car Museum

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Glenview Car Museum
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 06:55PM

I know this isn't Chicago per se, but I thought pass along the news that Lee Roy Hartung's car museum in Glenview is going to be auctioned off in November. At the risk of making the post sound 'spammy' I won't post any links, but if you do a 'net search you'll see plenty of news and photos of it.

I worked not far from there for a time, and a co-worker brought me there when he found out I had an eye for old cars and such. The sheer amount of stuff (it's called a museum but it's actually closer to a hoard) was just astounding; I've not seen anything like it since.

Once the contents are gone, I'm sure the land is going to be redeveloped and a part of old Glenview/Chicagoland will be gone forever. I plan on going just to see it one more time.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Glenview Car Museum
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 08:04PM

Mr. Hartung, the owner, is now deceased and I don't believe there are any heirs to the property. Lots of Model A Fords and other old cars and like WayOut said, stuff. This guy never saw anything old he didn't like, along with some more current items too. I might go to the auction just to see the spectacle of dispersing of such a huge hoard.I believe the auction is slated for three days.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.133.61.---)
Date: September 07, 2011 02:00AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your post with more information? Just i like it very much.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2011 12:56PM

Well, the auction was held this past weekend, and pulled in almost $4 million. One car brought in almost $200k, and a motorcycle from 1911 went for $201k.

I was talking with one of the folks involved; they had to cut down the trees just to be able to move things around on the property, and they spent the better part of September and October just cleaning out the junk.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact