Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...
Posted by: amybizzarri (64.150.16.---)
Date: May 07, 2014 03:18PM

I'm looking to find Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...I'm thinking of smaller stores. Does anyone have a beloved Chicago store that is still a favorite after years and years?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-105.myvzw.com)
Date: May 07, 2014 03:53PM

American Science and Surplus.

AD:

Re: Chicago stores/boutiques that are still in operation today and were 50+ years ago...
Posted by: Elaine W (192.175.17.---)
Date: May 12, 2014 06:59PM

Seminary Co-op bookstore in Hyde Park. The bookstore started around 1960 or thereabouts, and for roughly 50 years was located in the basement of Chicago Theological Seminary, 58th & University. More recently it moved to the first floor of a building on Woodlawn, between 57th and 58th streets.
Also about 30 years ago, Seminary Co-op expanded to a second location, called 57th Street Books, at Kimbark and 57th.

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2014 08:58PM

...and as I just mentioned a few minutes ago on another thread here, Adam's Apple, around 6200 N. California, a head shop that still looks the same as it did 45+ years ago and still carries 60s and 70s fashions, like bell-bottoms.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: trainutlen (---.lais.com)
Date: May 14, 2014 11:06AM

Although it's no longer in Chicago-ABT Electronics opened for business in Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 02:09PM

Margie's candies still at Armitage and Western. In business since 1921.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2014 05:51PM

Just as I mention this a minute ago on another thread here,

Your Snappy Shop opened in 1964. They closed around January 30,2012. 48 years they were opened.

I can remember going to Simmons Pro Shop on Irving Park Road back in the mid 1970's when Vern operated the shop. Brian, his son now runs it. I believe they opened in 1946 and still is in the same location as well.

For that matter, Timber Lanes bowling down the street on Irving Park has been around since the mid 1970's that I know of. I think they go back as far as 1945. Bob the owner now used to work there back then and bought the bowling alley from Yogi in 1985.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 02:03AM

I completely forgot The Tobacconist (since 1947) on Irving just east of the Snappy Shop!

AD:

Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2014 04:49PM

RJ,

Timber Lanes must have been there prior to the "mid"-70s, because I bowled on a league there in 1971-72, when I worked for Dynascan Corp. (which eventually became Cobra Electronics) on Belle Plaine. Nice place!

Mikey

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact