Uptown in the 40's

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Uptown in the 40's
Posted by: nancybc (---.va.shawcable.net)
Date: March 04, 2011 02:45PM

Does anyone remember the uptown area around Carmen and Broadway? Carmen and Clark?
I lived there between 1936 and 1951. It was a great neighborhood- very diverse.
ON the corner of Carmen and Broadway was the 5100 Club where Danny Thomas was just starting out.
The Bachman HOuse, on Carmen, built by Bruce Goff constantly attracted visitors due to its radical design. We thought it had been built by Frank Lloyd Wright.
There was an old fashion drug store on Winnamac and Broadway- Rosenfelts? that served phosphates, Green River and sodas at the long marble counter.
THere was the Dubenet Lounge on the corner of Argyle and Broadway, a Davidson's bakery and a Jewish bakery, Esko Fish store, Jewish Deli and Chinese restaurant on Argyle in addition to a ton of small shops. At the end of Argyle was Sheridan Road and a lovely park that was always filled with people during the Summertime.
As kids, we used to walk to the Edgewater Beach HOtel in the Winter as they had an ice skating rink there. I think it cost 10 cents to skate and 10 cents for hot chocolate. Summers we walked to the Foster Ave Beach and walked along the rocks that went the length of the beach,
The street cars ran on Broadway and I can still hear the distinctive sound they made along the tracks and the bell that the conductor rang when he came to a cross street.
Clark near Carmen was the site of the first modern grocery store in the neighborhood. There was a Wollworth's on Clark about two blocks past Foster Ave that had a lunch counter. As Trumbull Elementary did not have a cafeteria, it was a treat to be able to walk to Woolworths for lunch.
Anyone else have memories of this neighborhood?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Uptown in the 40's
Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 02:49PM

i love reading things like this. i lived right on winnemac off broadway in the 90s. the drugstore must have been where the 20 story office building now is. totally different situation now although it is re-gentrifying (i don't know if this would be considered an improvement or a sterilisation, though..)

AD:

Posted by: neilarsenty (---.com)
Date: March 04, 2011 02:56PM

The Uptown Chicago History blog just posted lots of high-quality images of Uptown in the 1930's.

I bet these will bring back some old memories...
http://uptownhistory.compassrose.org/

AD:

Date: March 04, 2011 05:16PM

Thanks, Neil! The photos are just great!
I don't remember the Argmore Theater right now. We used to go to the Uptown so I don't think I ever went there.
Wish there was a photo of Argyle St too.!
Thanks so much for posting the link. I'll have to check in to that site every now and then.
Nancy

AD:

Posted by: Judy (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2011 01:06AM

Thanks Nancy for a great post and to Neil who posted a great link! :)

AD:

Date: March 19, 2011 03:01AM

Thanks,Judy.
What is so great about this website is that it's like a jig saw puzzle.
The website has provided the four sides that form the frame and it is up to us to fill in the pieces. Some of us have more pieces- some less but as we place them where they belong, the entire picture becomes clearer and more recognizable. We see more of ourselves in it as each piece invites the next one to fit in where it belongs.The fun comes in because we never know how many pieces we actually have to add- it is a puzzle in progress- preserving Forgotten Chicago and, if we are lucky, some of our memories as well.
Cheers,
Nancy

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten (66.28.242.---)
Date: March 21, 2011 03:36PM

Thanks for posting your memories, Nancy! I love reading posts like this!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact