Patio Theater

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Patio Theater
Posted by: telefrank (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 01:56AM

Owners are cleaning her up and giving her a paint job. Hope to be open by this winter. They have a web site. Also a page on Facebook

www.patiotheater.net

I suspect some people who grew up nearby will post. But her's the real test if you grew up in the neighborhood. What did you call the Patio? If the answer was pronounced "pay show" your from the hood.

BTW I'm not but I've been there since 1976 when I married a neighborhood girl who wanted to stay.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Patio Theater
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2010 12:14PM

That is great news!

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 10:23AM

Wow, that is good news! We went to see the movie "Breakin'" back in 84 with a bunch of friends from the hood.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-219.myvzw.com)
Date: August 04, 2010 12:23PM

I've always gotten strange looks every time I told people that my mom called the Patio the "pay show" so it's nice to know someone else from the hood pronounces it this way too. And I'm so glad to see the old place being renovated.

AD:

Posted by: appleuzer (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2010 12:43PM

here's a direct link to a gallery of shots of the repainted lobby. Simply amazing!
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27104&id=129959440363876

-Mike Damian
ForgottenChicago.com

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:27PM

My family moved into area in 1970, and we called it 'Pat-i-o'. In my memory, kids and parents [under 45ish] said it that way, older folks & nuns [St. Pascal] said 'Pai-sho' They pronouced it the same as 'ratio', not specifically saying 'Pay Show'. True Chicagoans say 'da show' for cinema/film theaters.

Back in 70's, it the low end of the movie theaters to pick. Milford was below it. The Portage and Will Rogers were nicer for Disney movies or 2nd run. For higher end new releases, they were at the Norridge. And Gateway too!

Now, Patio is a survivor!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact