city of chicago troubadours 1981 and 1982

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
city of chicago troubadours 1981 and 1982
Posted by: richard j. romanowski (---.c3-0.snb-ubr1.chi-snb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 25, 2014 09:50AM

hi friends

back in the day there where auditions by the city for a summer troubadour program. they actually called it the jane byrne troubadours. the auditions that i attended where held at "the body politic theater" on lincoln avenue. i remember the place was packed with every kind of musician street artist you could imagine. hundreds auditioned but only 50 where picked. i walked out on the stage for my audition in a great old pair of oshkoshbgosh overhauls that i purchased from wieboldts on milwaukee and paulina. i had my loverly 1970 yamaha twelve string guitar round my neck, which my mom bought me from "kagan and gaines" a great music store from the old music dealers row on south wabash ave. i decided to sing the beatles song "rocky raccoon" and i guess that did the trick and i was one of the lucky 50.

so the city sent us all a zerox copy of a song called "we've got it all in chicago" and asked us all to learn it and show up for a group rehearsal at city hall. so we all show up in the council chambers and you have this group of unruly musicians trying to put together this song and make sense of it. whoever was leading the rehearsal did not even know the song. as we where going through it, it was obvious i had worked on it and someone noticed i knew it and before i knew what happened i was at the front leading the song.

so for the grand unfurling of the chicago troubadours they had us all report to the old water tower building and sing the song. what this is all boiling down to is that there was a picture of this in either the suntimes or tribune with me at the head of the pack with my yamaha twelve string singing away " we've got it all in chicago". so this was the summer of 1981, if anyone knows how to find a photo like that or has the capability please be so kind to share it. peace, rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 09:51AM by richard j. romanowski.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: city of chicago troubadours 1981 and 1982
Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: February 28, 2014 04:20PM

The Chicago Tribune Historical Archives are available through the Chicago Public Library website www.chipublib.org. I did a search and found several articles including some pictures (search terms: troubador byrne).

It is difficult to post the results here so if you'd like to see the results, either use the website or private message me through this forum with your email and I can send you the articles with the pictures.

Rob

AD:

Re: city of chicago troubadours 1981 and 1982
Posted by: richard j. romanowski (---.c3-0.snb-ubr1.chi-snb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 04, 2014 10:33AM

thanks you bowler for your reply.
i have sent you a pm with my email.
please kindly forward your findings.
peace, rich

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact