Bush Temple

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Bush Temple
Posted by: querencia (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 10:33PM

You may have noticed an old building with nice detail and an odd roofline on the northwest corner of Clark & Chicago, where the Panang Restaurant is now on the corner. An old postcard > googling inform me that this was the HQ of a piano company, Bush & Gerts, built 1905 and known as the Bush Temple and Museum. That peculiar sawed-off thing on the roof used to be a clock tower.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bush Temple
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 12:58AM

The building is still there and it used to publish church hymnals also. I always wondered about that building as it has a french style.

AD:

Date: January 02, 2010 10:37PM

Yes, I used to sit contemplating it from the Chicago 66 bus stop across the street. What got my attention was the quality of the graceful detail---but the roofline is so peculiar and ugly (because it's been sawed off, who knows why). You can google "Bush Temple Chicago" for more information.

AD:

Date: March 10, 2010 11:27PM

I took another look at this building. The curleycue detail between the windows is really exquisite and looks to me as if it is made of marble rather than terra-cotta. You may be able to see the building as it originally looked if you google "Bush temple" or try going to ebay>postcards chicago. Not infrequently there is a postcard view of this building (and browsing old Chicago buildings on vintage postcards is fun anyway).

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact