Chicago Television of Yesteryear

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Chicago Television of Yesteryear
Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 07:02PM

To: Holtanek

That's a tough one... but I seem to remember Susan [Heinkel] of Susan's Show sitting in a large, cushy chair at times. Could that have been it? Some of the characters on the show, such as Mr. Pegasus, had strange powers, and maybe one of them was the ability to levitate things. Maybe he levitated Susan? ;-)

Mikey

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 12:57AM

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08fCLurn-g

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 04:49PM

The one show I had a like/dislike for was Gigglesnort Hotel (early '80s); wasn't a fan of the Blob character, and most of the other puppets had varying levels of creepiness as well. But hey, what else was I gonna do early Saturday mornings before my folks were out of bed?

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 08:23PM

[b]Anybody remember Rex TV service at 60th & Pulaski or Home TV At Archer west of Kedzie in the basement on the north side of Archer.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2014 05:57AM

The Chicago Museum of broadcasting had an entire episode of "The Susan Show" online. Now I can't find it. However you tube has a 5 minute excerpt of the show. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i08fCLurn-g

I know one of the WBBM newsmen was the voice of MR. Pegasus, the talking table. I think it was John Coughlin, the weatherman .

HOLTANEK, this may be the show you remembered.

(Sorry Mornac, I just noticed you posted the clip)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 06:01AM by Jayg.

AD:

Date: February 26, 2014 06:12AM

I found this obituary for Jim Stewart

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-04-03/news/0104030282_1_mr-stewart-puppets-lee-stewart

In addition to "Here's Geraldine". he also hosted 'Passage to Adventure". a travel show with homemade movies filmed by locals.
I was surprised to see it ran for 12 years.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2014 03:05PM

hey Mikey from Feb 13th, Yep, that's it! I don't recall anything else but her flying in that chair, sitting on the sofa watching our small Motorola TV.

AD:

Posted by: Bruce Kelleher (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2014 04:31PM

Holtanek... that was Susan's show w/ Mr. Pegasus...'take me home flying friend, take me hoe

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 02:04PM

Speaking of commercials, i remember watching wrestling in the 70s. Bob Luce was the promoter and they had guys like dick the bruiser, the crusher, baron von raschke, yukon moose cholak....Anyway, they would do commercials for Ben's Auto, and they could never finish a commercial without cracking each other up. It was Bob Luce and a bunch of different wrestlers doing the commercials. they also did commercials for One Stop, where you could get beer, ribs and chitlins by the case.

AD:

Posted by: justacruzr2 (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 23, 2014 10:56PM

Does anyone remember Flash Gordon being on? I think it was WGN on Sunday mornings. The "Clay People" would always creep me out. You couldn't protect yourself 'cause they would just come out of the wall before you knew it. And they also had at one time The Lone Ranger, Superman (already mentioned above), The Cisco Kid, and Mighty Mouse (Here I Comne To Save The Day). Along with everything already mentioned does anyone remember The Dick Tracy Show? It was hosted by Ray Rayner and came on at 7 AM. I would always watch it before heading off to school. That was right before they started the Bugs Bunny Show. WGN used their personalities over and over again to host many shows. Remember Family
Classics with Frazier Thomas? That was a really good show. WGN really did have a lot of good programming back in the day.

And as long as we're on it there should also be a thread for Chicago TV commercials too (unless I missed it). Remember Magikist?
(Magikist..Magikist..Magikist rug cleaning) or Mohawk 4 4100 CET for television. And whose commercial used to end with Hudson 3 2700...suburbs call collect.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 01:17AM

I heard some great stories about Frazier Thomas. Supposedly he sometimes walked from WGN studios at 2501 W Bradley Place and took the Addison St bus west to go home, wherever that was. Also heard he had a large train set in his basement

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 12:03AM

@justacruzr2, I can remember a lot of those shows on TV. The Lone Ranger and The Cisco Kid are on every morning on COZI TV. They also have Hopalong Cassidy, Lassie, The Real McCoys and a bunch of other older shows I use to watch as a kid. I seen Rin Tin Tin somewhere not long ago.

AD:

Posted by: jimysohns (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 21, 2014 02:49AM

Frazier Thomas did have an extremely large train set. I beleive O gauge.My uncle owned Devon HobbyModels in Chicago and Thomas would come in on sundays and pick up lots of supplies. This was the late 1960,s early 70,s.

AD:

Posted by: Steve Allen Fan (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2014 05:44AM

Does anyone remember Tom Duggan or the Breakfast Club?
I believe Jim McNeil hosted it.

AD:

Posted by: gman (---.sfltd.com)
Date: October 23, 2014 10:19AM

Steve Allen Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone remember Tom Duggan or the Breakfast
> Club?
> I believe Jim McNeil hosted it.

A little before my time, but it was radio legend [b]Don[/b] McNeil.

AD:

Date: October 28, 2014 02:07AM

One Sunday possibly in the sixties,I saw a game show hosted by Don McNeil. I don't remember the premise or the station, but I think they were trying to launch it nation wide. They weren't successful.

Other local memories

"It's Academic" WMAQ Saturday evenings. Local high schools competed in A College bowl type game show. It was broadcast from the Merchandise Mart.

"Passage to Adventure" WLS late Saturday evening. Travel show.

"The Old Barn Dance" WLS early Saturday evening.

"Lytt Television Theater" WLS Saturday afternoons. Lytt jewelers was the sponsor.

I don't know if Roller Derby was local. WLS broadcast it on early Saturday evenings. Also they had a half hour "man in the street" answers questions program that ran either before or after Roller Derby.

Kup's show. Saturday nights

Shock Theater. Saturday nights.

The Lee Phillips show

John Madigan "At Random" WBBM

"Off the Cuff" WBKB

AD:

Posted by: Luddite (73.51.141.---)
Date: November 01, 2014 08:30PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anybody remember Rex TV service at 60th & Pulaski
> or Home TV At Archer west of Kedzie in the
> basement on the north side of Archer.

The one on Archer was owned by a guy named Suda.
My aunt worked for him until he died sometime in the 70's

AD:

Posted by: Savruk (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 05:13PM

Loved Flash Gordon and also wrestling from Marigold Gardens.

Does anyone remember the Bert Weiman Ford commercials on tv? Each month there was a slogan to sell cars. April was particularly memorable--"April-itis--Swelling of the Inventory." My brother and I still crack up when we talk about it.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring (---.dhcp.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: June 17, 2015 04:52AM

As a youngster this is what I remember most about Chicago Television.

W.G.N.- Bozo Circus with Oliver O Oliver and Sandy.

Ray Rayner Show with his duck and Cuddley Duddley.

Garfield Goose with the series "Journey to the Beginning of Time" Garfield Goose at Christmas always played Susie Snowflake and Hardrock Cocoa and Joe.

Creature Features on Saturday nights after the 10:00 news.

Night Beat with Marty Mcneeley

Family Classics with Frazier Thomas then Roy Leonard.

When Movies were Movies

Sunday Morning, Mass for Shut Ins.

The latest show before the National Anthem on W.G.N. was 5 minutes to Live By.

WFLD Channel 32 - B.J. and Dirty Dragon

Svengoolie

ABC Channel 7 had the Friday Night Movie.

WBBM on Sunday mornings had the show "The Magic Door"

Channel 26 on Saturday late afternoon was the Eddie Korosa Polka Show. After that was a show called Yugoslav Polo.

Channel 11 on Friday nights had the music show Soundstage.

WSNS Channel 44 had Bob Luce Wrestling and the White Sox broadcasts with Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall in the booth.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2015 11:39PM

No one mentioned Howdy Doody Show with Buffalo Bob and Clarabelle the Clown or Kuka, Fran and Ollie. How about Milton Berrle Show and the Texaco commercials.

AD:

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact