Municipal Field/Midway airport

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Municipal Field/Midway airport
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2014 10:54PM

Here is an interesting retrospective on the south side airport, courtesy of the Chicago Tribune archives.

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-130523-history-midway-international-airport-pictures/#chi-midway23misschicago-20130121

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Municipal Field/Midway airport
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 08:14AM

b.a.hoarder,
Thanks much for the Midway photos. I can well imagine it was an exciting place be, and to see, and hear the sounds of the American Air Races in 1933!

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2014 07:27PM

[b]Thanks I like that![/b]

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 12:47PM

The 1954 photo of the deportation to Brownsville is interesting to me.

When my father's family arrived here from Brownsville in the '20s, they first settled near 47th & Ashland, where there was a small enclave of Mexicans and Tejanos. My grandfather worked as a skinner in the stockyards. On weekends, my grandmother and her older kids would make food (baskets of tamales, etc), hike it all over to the airport and sell it to the traqueros working there. She rigged up a kitchen appliance that would roll out balls of dough to make tortillas. It was a pretty good operation until my uncle got his finger mangled in it. It's still all twisted up and hurts him when the winter comes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 01:45PM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact