Fire Alarm Boxes

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Fire Alarm Boxes
Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:13PM

Before sodium vapor lights the street lights were white. But above each fire alarm box the light was yellow, to mark the box location. Most boxes were removed because of all the false alarms.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Fire Alarm Boxes
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:53PM

oh yeah, that is right! something I forgot about til now.

When the orange lights came in my 'hood, birds were still chirping for days, thinking it was still daytime. How quickly they forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2008 11:54PM by tomcat630.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 10:21PM

Was the alarm box actually on the pole? I'd love to find one of those still hanging around somewhere. Actually the only places that fire alarms seem to still exist are in front of schools and theaters, for obvious reasons.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 03:33AM

On old light poles was a black square, with stenciled #'s. Top # was a 1-2 digit code, which was actaully the 'hun-ert' [hundred] block you were on.

i.e. 24 = 2400 block, or 4 = 400 block. The bottom # was the light pole on that block. I am sure there were 3 digit ones on south side, but never saw them in person.

Now, not on the poles anymore,

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (76.29.96.---)
Date: April 08, 2008 04:32AM

If anyone can find a fire alarm box, (original), it's that retired fireman with the shop on 111th and pulaski. You'll pay, but they are getting harder to find. We bought one from him for my dad years ago for christmas and everytime I go in he asks about it like I adopted a dog or something! He's a riot. Good guy. Fair, honest ask around. It's in that little strip mall on the corner.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact