Goose Island

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Goose Island
Posted by: sonny72 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 05:32PM

I'm looking for any 1st hand info about Goose Island--located near Division St & Elston Ave.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Goose Island
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 09:56PM

[b]All I know is that my father born in 1898 lived on goose island. There were some homes there at that time. You can see that on aeriel views.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: November 15, 2013 01:33PM

sonny72 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking for any 1st hand info about Goose
> Island--located near Division St & Elston Ave.

Your favorite search engine is your friend: (here's one of many Goose Island articles)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/8755978576/in/set-72157633538386048

AD:

Date: November 16, 2013 11:26AM

[b]It was not an island to begin with. The east side of the island was cut and became an island.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: sonny72 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 02:47PM

Where on Goose Island did your Father live??----When did he leave the Island? Do you know the address or the name of the street he lived on....Do you or any members of your Family know any other names of people who lived there--pre 1940?????

AD:

Date: November 26, 2013 09:42PM

[b]That's what I was trying to find out. Grand fathers name was Frank OStachowski. They moved to Noble st'sometime later. My dad passed at 89 years old was born in 1898 on Goose Island and that's all I know. [/b]

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:32PM

my best memory re. Goose Island was the old Ogden Ave elevated roadway 'overpass'. I think when the city decided to phase it out early '80s Goose Island lost its best landmark

didn't the Seeburg Music Mfg (the old juke-box company) used to be on Goose Island?

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:50PM

I think Seeberg used to be a little east of there, by Halsted, Dayton, and North Avenue, where the Grossinger car dealership is now located.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:53PM

i think i looked southward from division st (on goose island) and saw the big Seeburg illuminated sign way high up

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact