Amazing photos of uptown 1973-77

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Amazing photos of uptown 1973-77
Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 01:56PM

Brings back memories of when I was a kid, our doctors office was on Broadway at Wilson. My parents shoped at a store on Sheridan, my dad often parked the car on a side street near a alley with rats the size of cats! These pictures are exactly as I remember it.

http://bobrehak.com/wordpress/portfolio-2/documentary/

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Amazing photos of uptown 1973-77
Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 02:23PM

Roughly my high school years. I attended Harry Truman College when it opened in the fall of 1976 and I spent quite a bit of time exploring the neighborhood. These photos are giving me a memory rush. Thanks 222.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2013 02:55PM

your welcome, we rode the Montrose bus from our Irving Park home to the bus turn a round at Broadway then walk to our doctors office near Wilson. I remember my mom being a little nervous of the street people, but they never bothered us. My dad how ever did get mugged on Sheridan near that store we shopped at. The picture "Uptown lady" looks like the store we shopped at, it had a pole by the door like in the picture, I'm almost sure it's the same place!

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 01:20AM

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I see the Green Mill, which is still in business. Does anyone know whether there's any truth to the story that they have a door in their basement that opens into a tunnel that goes to the lake---and that this was used for bringing in bootleg liquor during Prohibition?

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 12:53PM

That sounds far fetched since the Green Mill is a long way from the lake, though a tunnel to the street or another building (or a hidden door) seems plausible.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 02:50PM

The Green Mill was on the History Channel not to long ago. Here's what they said,

The Green Mill Lounge, Chicago: The Green Mill jazz club was Al Capone's favorite hang-out, and provided an excellent cover for his bootlegging. Capone transformed the basement of this club into a series of elaborate tunnels through which he could smuggle booze to various places in Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 07:57PM

I wonder how far the tunnels went - Chicago being so near water table I can't imagine tunnels going terribly far or being very deep without elaborate pumps and waterproofing.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact